Transgender Contractor Transgender Contractor - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 31 to 40 of 54
  1. #31

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsAnonymousPerson View Post
    This makes me cringe so hard. In fact it's one of the things that kept me in the closet so long. The fear that I would just come across as a 2d cartoon imitation of who I feel I am. Both invalidating my own sense of self and, worse, in some sense mocking what it is to be a woman.
    I mean who am I, as a biological male, to deem to know what it is to be a woman?
    How dare I?
    It's like blackface - and that's what drag shows seems to me to be, very much like blackface. It's a mockery. So why on earth would I take this path?
    Because this is my intuitive reality, this is who I truly believe myself to be. From my earliest memories.
    And so while I understand where you are coming from, that is not who I am.
    Please, please do not worry about this - you know what is professional, your critical faculties have not deserted you. The trans woman I recently worked with made me tidy myself up a bit, she raised the stakes in smartness.

    But she was new and experimenting with style, sometimes flowing dresses, sometimes pinsharp heels. I felt rather privileged to see her blossom to be honest.

    She will probably wince when she comes across the enormous sun hat she wore on a particularly hot day this summer, but who gets it right every time?

  2. #32

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsAnonymousPerson View Post
    Or would you temper that with, someone will hire you... I'm not sure they will.
    I can't give empty reassurances. I don't know. Surely some clients would and some would not, but whether you can find the first kind of client at the point in time when they need a contractor, I do not know.

    I am relatively certain you will be cutting yourself off from a segment of the market at a point in time when the market may be slow anyway, where a lot of clients are considering moving away from contractors because of IR35 and Brexit.

    You'll have to decide whether you think that risk is worth it. I doubt anyone can give you any real reassurances.

  3. #33

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WordIsBond View Post
    You'll have to decide whether you think that risk is worth it. I doubt anyone can give you any real reassurances.
    This. It would be the same answer if someone asked the question about being fat, short, bald, French () etc

    Some people have unwarranted prejudices and its pure luck if you do or don't cross paths with one that makes a decision that impacts your life.

    If you wanted to reduce risk, you could carry on presenting as a man for interviews until you get a gig, then transition at an appropriate point during the gig (after you have proven yourself). Even if prejudices do exist, I very much doubt a client would terminate the contract, though it might stop a renewal.

    However, I realise you might see that as not being true to yourself.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 10th October 2019 at 07:26.

  4. #34

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,091

    Default

    My only advice is to be yourself and trust that people will be decent.

    There may be some advice online in transgender forums about strategies. Should you quietly phone ahead just to let people know so there's not a show of shock when you walk into an interview? Are there tips on how to dress? The advice doesn't have to contractor specific but you may want to be cautious re US sites.

    Best of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  5. #35

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,091

    Default

    Also, the Equality Act seems to have variable application to contractors. There's an argument to be made that if the client is stating a contract is inside IR35, then you are protected by law. I appreciate that enforcement is not an easy step.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  6. #36

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Greg View Post
    Also, the Equality Act seems to have variable application to contractors. There's an argument to be made that if the client is stating a contract is inside IR35, then you are protected by law. I appreciate that enforcement is not an easy step.
    I don't believe that is the case.
    Although it's harder for a contractor to prove the've been discrimniated against when they are just removed from site at 0 days notice, with no reason provided.
    See You Next Tuesday

  7. #37

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I did not get beyond the first minute. Of course the presenter is entitled to their opinion, but most would disagree.

    As this is B/C and not general, I hope your CUK account will be deleted.
    FTFY
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  8. #38

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsAnonymousPerson View Post
    God, we've devolved into politics.
    Look, I'm not even sure he's wrong.
    I'm not trying to undermine womanhood, or invalidate what it means to be gay, or god forbid, herald in the new marxist revolution.

    Please exclude me from the political conversation and simply show me the common courtesy of allowing me to exist.
    I reported the post and hopefully it will be deleted soon(along with replies).

    There is always a small minority of idiots - and CUK attracts more than most.

    You have the support of most on here and in society.

    Good luck!

  9. #39

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I don't believe that is the case.
    Although it's harder for a contractor to prove the've been discrimniated against when they are just removed from site at 0 days notice, with no reason provided.
    IIRC there was a discrimination case that was lost as the contractor had the RoS so it wasn't a contract for personal service. Will look it up, and things may have moved on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  10. #40

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsAnonymousPerson View Post
    God, we've devolved into politics.
    Look, I'm not even sure he's wrong in everything he says. Although I do suspect his reasoning is motivated by a point of view I disagree with.
    I'm not trying to undermine womanhood, or invalidate what it means to be gay, or god forbid, herald in the new marxist revolution.

    Please exclude me from the political conversation and simply show me the common courtesy of allowing me to exist.
    Apologies. CC is an unpleasant idiot, but usually they keep out of the professional forums. We're mostly a decent bunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •