• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Transgender Contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsAnonymousPerson View Post
    This makes me cringe so hard. In fact it's one of the things that kept me in the closet so long. The fear that I would just come across as a 2d cartoon imitation of who I feel I am. Both invalidating my own sense of self and, worse, in some sense mocking what it is to be a woman.
    I mean who am I, as a biological male, to deem to know what it is to be a woman?
    How dare I?
    It's like blackface - and that's what drag shows seems to me to be, very much like blackface. It's a mockery. So why on earth would I take this path?
    Because this is my intuitive reality, this is who I truly believe myself to be. From my earliest memories.
    And so while I understand where you are coming from, that is not who I am.
    Please, please do not worry about this - you know what is professional, your critical faculties have not deserted you. The trans woman I recently worked with made me tidy myself up a bit, she raised the stakes in smartness.

But she was new and experimenting with style, sometimes flowing dresses, sometimes pinsharp heels. I felt rather privileged to see her blossom to be honest.

She will probably wince when she comes across the enormous sun hat she wore on a particularly hot day this summer, but who gets it right every time?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by MrsAnonymousPerson View Post
      Or would you temper that with, someone will hire you... I'm not sure they will.
      I can't give empty reassurances. I don't know. Surely some clients would and some would not, but whether you can find the first kind of client at the point in time when they need a contractor, I do not know.

I am relatively certain you will be cutting yourself off from a segment of the market at a point in time when the market may be slow anyway, where a lot of clients are considering moving away from contractors because of IR35 and Brexit.

You'll have to decide whether you think that risk is worth it. I doubt anyone can give you any real reassurances.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        You'll have to decide whether you think that risk is worth it. I doubt anyone can give you any real reassurances.
        This. It would be the same answer if someone asked the question about being fat, short, bald, French () etc

Some people have unwarranted prejudices and its pure luck if you do or don't cross paths with one that makes a decision that impacts your life.

If you wanted to reduce risk, you could carry on presenting as a man for interviews until you get a gig, then transition at an appropriate point during the gig (after you have proven yourself). Even if prejudices do exist, I very much doubt a client would terminate the contract, though it might stop a renewal.

However, I realise you might see that as not being true to yourself.
        Last edited by Paralytic; 10 October 2019, 07:26.

Comment

My only advice is to be yourself and trust that people will be decent.

There may be some advice online in transgender forums about strategies. Should you quietly phone ahead just to let people know so there's not a show of shock when you walk into an interview? Are there tips on how to dress? The advice doesn't have to contractor specific but you may want to be cautious re US sites.

Best of luck.

Comment

Also, the Equality Act seems to have variable application to contractors. There's an argument to be made that if the client is stating a contract is inside IR35, then you are protected by law. I appreciate that enforcement is not an easy step.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Also, the Equality Act seems to have variable application to contractors. There's an argument to be made that if the client is stating a contract is inside IR35, then you are protected by law. I appreciate that enforcement is not an easy step.
              I don't believe that is the case.
              Although it's harder for a contractor to prove the've been discrimniated against when they are just removed from site at 0 days notice, with no reason provided.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad
                I did not get beyond the first minute. Of course the presenter is entitled to their opinion, but most would disagree.

As this is B/C and not general, I hope your CUK account will be deleted.
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by MrsAnonymousPerson
                  God, we've devolved into politics.
                  Look, I'm not even sure he's wrong.
                  I'm not trying to undermine womanhood, or invalidate what it means to be gay, or god forbid, herald in the new marxist revolution.

Please exclude me from the political conversation and simply show me the common courtesy of allowing me to exist.
                  I reported the post and hopefully it will be deleted soon(along with replies).

There is always a small minority of idiots - and CUK attracts more than most.

You have the support of most on here and in society.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    I don't believe that is the case.
                    Although it's harder for a contractor to prove the've been discrimniated against when they are just removed from site at 0 days notice, with no reason provided.
                    IIRC there was a discrimination case that was lost as the contractor had the RoS so it wasn't a contract for personal service. Will look it up, and things may have moved on.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsAnonymousPerson
                      God, we've devolved into politics.
                      Look, I'm not even sure he's wrong in everything he says. Although I do suspect his reasoning is motivated by a point of view I disagree with.
                      I'm not trying to undermine womanhood, or invalidate what it means to be gay, or god forbid, herald in the new marxist revolution.

Please exclude me from the political conversation and simply show me the common courtesy of allowing me to exist.
                      Apologies. CC is an unpleasant idiot, but usually they keep out of the professional forums. We're mostly a decent bunch.

Comment

Working...
                      X