• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE - A letter from the CEO about IR35 in Finance (ref: Lloyds, Barclays)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All channels are good to follow and there's nothing inherently wrong with the letter and what it suggests.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      All channels are good to follow and there's nothing inherently wrong with the letter and what it suggests.
      I think the outset is incorrect, in that the guy writing it has minimal experience of contracting, IR35 and the general industry:

"Chris Bryce
      Chief Executive
      Chris was one of the original 2,000 members of the organisation when it was formed as the Professional Contractors Group in 1999 and was a long-time contractor with a strong client base in global scale change management.

Before becoming a contractor Chris had a career in sales and marketing followed by 10 years in senior management in the logistics industry. Chris was appointed as Interim CEO in June 2013 and accepted the role permanently in December 2013."

I'm not convinced this guy had or has the know-how to tackle IR35. IPSE incorporating uber delivery folk and the rest was a joke, that Scruff correctly highlighted through the various means possible at the time. IPSE aren't of much use now and they haven't done a good job of representing the original members: contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
        I think the outset is incorrect, in that the guy writing it has minimal experience of contracting, IR35 and the general industry:

"Chris Bryce
        Chief Executive
        Chris was one of the original 2,000 members of the organisation when it was formed as the Professional Contractors Group in 1999 and was a long-time contractor with a strong client base in global scale change management.

Before becoming a contractor Chris had a career in sales and marketing followed by 10 years in senior management in the logistics industry. Chris was appointed as Interim CEO in June 2013 and accepted the role permanently in December 2013."

I'm not convinced this guy had or has the know-how to tackle IR35. IPSE incorporating uber delivery folk and the rest was a joke, that Scruff correctly highlighted through the various means possible at the time. IPSE aren't of much use now and they haven't done a good job of representing the original members: contractors.
        Sorry but that is total bollocks. Chris knows more about contracting and IR35 - and, more importantly, the people behind it - than you ever will.

As for IPSE being impotent, so is everybody else in the face of a Treasury civil service that has no understanding or experience of how to deal with a workforce that doesn't align to their Victorian ideas of master/servant as the only possible arrangement.

The only way to break this deadlock is to persuade HMG - specifically the PM and Chancellor - that what they are doing is not only morally wrong but economically incompetent. What IPSE and other bodies are trying to do is precisely that. Like it or not, it is the only option.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I keep writing to my (Tory) MP. Have had some decent but non-committal responses. I've just sent another one about forced PAYE at Barclays and Lloyds and how the genuine self-employed are affected. Can't do much more than that.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Sorry but that is total bollocks. Chris knows more about contracting and IR35 - and, more importantly, the people behind it - than you ever will.
            Agreed, unless I imagined Chris was my program director (contractor) for several years at RBS in Amsterdam and In London

Top contractor

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              I keep writing to my (Tory) MP. Have had some decent but non-committal responses. I've just sent another one about forced PAYE at Barclays and Lloyds and how the genuine self-employed are affected. Can't do much more than that.
              My Labour MP has never once acknowledged, let alone deigned to respond to, any of my letters. I used the online service, wrote to the local constituency office, wrote to her at Westminster Palace. Sweet FA back.

Comment

My Labour MP has never once acknowledged, let alone deigned to respond to, any of my letters. I used the online service, wrote to the local constituency office, wrote to her at Westminster Palace. Sweet FA back.
                Ahh yours is a Corbynite.<swear word>

Mine is a minister under this shambles of a government so no point writing to him.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My most recent missive (a bit of a rant I must admit) met with "Thank you for your further correspondence on IR35, the content of which has been noted."

Comment

More worryingly someone from HMRC viewed my LinkedIn profile last week.
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                      More worryingly someone from HMRC viewed my LinkedIn profile last week.

Comment

Working...
                      X