Advice needed - go perm or risk finding a new job in March? Advice needed - go perm or risk finding a new job in March? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 17 of 17

Still gathering requirements...

Personally I would be concerned about taking on a perm position at the same company you've been contracted with for 18 months.

As for whether you should go perm or remain a contractor; well that is up to you. We do not know your situation (beyond what you posted) so realistically cannot offer you a sensible answer, only you can decide based on your financial and personal situation and appetite to risk...

For me, I plan to ride the storm, I have only been contracting for a few years but have built up sufficient reserves (Warchest) to hopefully last me through the turbulent times..

Good luck either way.

WLB

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    The biggest consideration is whether the perm job will essentially be the same as the role you are currently doing thus flagging your current gig as inside and ripe for a poke about.

Everything else is something no-one but you can answer. There's been loads of threads recently on very similar topics plus extra info in the forum stickies. Not much more can be added.

Funny how IR35 was, in part, brought about to catch Friday to Monday perm to contractor transitions and is gaining a new life in catching Friday to Monday contractor to perm moves!
    I'm sure it's been described before but you're going to have to remind me how HMRC will join the dots between the OP going perm at the same company they've been contracting at?

Oh the irony regarding IR35.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by gables View Post
    I'm sure it's been described before but you're going to have to remind me how HMRC will join the dots between the OP going perm at the same company they've been contracting at?

Oh the irony regarding IR35.
    Agencies report who they've placed where to HMRC.

Employers report who they have on their books to HMRC.

Someone in HMRC does a VLOOKUP on a spreadsheet and, hey presto.

Super poster

Agencies report who they've placed where to HMRC.

Employers report who they have on their books to HMRC.

Someone in HMRC does a VLOOKUP on a spreadsheet and, hey presto.
    Can someone quote me for a Little Bobby Tables style new surname that will break VLOOKUPS, please and thank you?

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by jmo21 View Post
    Can someone quote me for a Little Bobby Tables style new surname that will break VLOOKUPS, please and thank you?
    I believe HMRC get your UTR from client/agencies. Identity fraud would be an easier way out of them getting a match

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by jmo21 View Post
    The bobby tables ruse is my password for sites that I'm not particularly bothered about working. Rest easy CUK, you have some use left yet...

To remain on topic, the risk of HMRC looking for contractors that went permie at same client rises based on the size of the client.

The smallest clients are immune from the IR35 changes altogether, though the existing IR35 position still applies.

The larger clients could have a GSK style HMRC mailshot sent to all identified contractors that assumes they're inside unless can prove otherwise and asking them to pay the tax bill.

Other clients may have an investigation triggered by other accounting issues or auditing, or any other process HMRC currently has or is working on to fulfil their goals for next year in terms of IR35 investigations. Bottom line is we can't be sure what may trigger an investigation so need to think what can be done to mitigate the risk on the assumption that an investigation may happen.

Cojak has a sticky for those wondering if they should go and if so when before next April, which is especially pertinent to those currently operating without a clue. i.e. Haven't done due diligence on whether currently inside or outside IR35.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Nervous Newbie

Funny how IR35 was, in part, brought about to catch Friday to Monday perm to contractor transitions and is gaining a new life in catching Friday to Monday contractor to perm moves!
    Very good and well put point. Plus ├ža change.