• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed - go perm or risk finding a new job in March?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed - go perm or risk finding a new job in March?

Hi everyone,

I know this post is asking for a crystal ball but I'd really appreciate people's thoughts or advice.

I'm a LtdCo contract Business Analyst. I've been doing it for 10 years as a LtdCo contractor, and never been out of work for more than 4 weeks. I'm limited in that I have to stay in my chosen city due to family reasons, but I've been lucky to manage to find jobs here all that time. Most of my jobs have been minimum 18 months, so hopefully my CV looks good.

My current client is great. Been there 18 months now, and I love it. People are great, work is interesting. They've offered for me to go perm at the end of my current contract period, which is March. They are basically letting all their contractors go in March anyway due to IR35. From what I can tell, they can't be bothered to assess anyone, so they are just not renewing.

So, my dilemma is: Do I go perm and take the hit in take home pay, or do I risk that there will be other jobs out there?

What will the state of the contracting job market be like in March? Will companies be hesitant to hire, even if I go through an umbrella? Due to other reasons, I can't really afford to be benched for any length of time. I could start my job search in January to try and secure one for March, but it feels like companies aren't hiring right now - they're waiting to see what happens.

A perm job is better than no job for me right now. But an umbrella job is better than a perm job!

My client will want a perm answer from me before Christmas. I'm not sure what the sensible thing to do is.

Does anyone have any advice?

The biggest consideration is whether the perm job will essentially be the same as the role you are currently doing thus flagging your current gig as inside and ripe for a poke about.

Everything else is something no-one but you can answer. There's been loads of threads recently on very similar topics plus extra info in the forum stickies. Not much more can be added.

Funny how IR35 was, in part, brought about to catch Friday to Monday perm to contractor transitions and is gaining a new life in catching Friday to Monday contractor to perm moves!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      The biggest consideration is whether the perm job will essentially be the same as the role you are currently doing thus flagging your current gig as inside and ripe for a poke about.

Everything else is something no-one but you can answer. There's been loads of threads recently on very similar topics plus extra info in the forum stickies. Not much more can be added.

Funny how IR35 was, in part, brought about to catch Friday to Monday perm to contractor transitions and is gaining a new life in catching Friday to Monday contractor to perm moves!
      It'll be the same job title, and all business analysis work is effectively the same, i.e., gathering requirements, stakeholder management, etc etc. However, it'll be a different project in a different area of the business.

Comment

Contractor for 10 years, never out of contract for more than 4 weeks, but no warchest?? gulp

Comment

No idea.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
            Contractor for 10 years, never out of contract for more than 4 weeks, but no warchest?? gulp
            That's exactly what I thought.could be that he has 3 houses on the go?

If I was in your position I would go perm but you hit ir35 investigation.

Comment

this is the reason to go perm.

Comment

If you're going to go perm do it sooner than later as there is a tsunami of contractors running scared of being deemed inside IR35 next April.

The tactic to get rid of all contractors and offer some perm jobs is obviously a good one if it means they have enough like yourself seriously considering it. So in a way the path is clear, clients booting out most/all contractors will fill some gaps with permies and then there will be a rush of contractors fighting over outside IR35 roles and then a rush of contractors looking to get inside IR35 roles after deciding contracting inside IR35 is better than permie life or burger flipping or the dole.

Hopefully the omnishambles that is brexit will be sorted soon (is there a third hope after bob and none? ) so at least the clients putting new projects and investments on hold will free up well before next April so easier for those looking to change tack between now and then to find something suitable.

Whatever people choose remember even a permie job is not permanent, I've had contracts longer than some permies lasted at a client. Just do what it takes to keep afloat into next year and beyond and re-assess when the opportunity arises. The storm will pass, we're just not sure what devastation will be left after and what the landscape for contracting will look like.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

This may have answered the question for you.

You've had good fortune for 10 years but with no savings, who's to say that at any point in the future you might not have to wait 2-3 months or more to find a new role, whether contract or perm? Finding the right perm role can often take 6 months or even more. Given your geographical restrictions, you are especially at risk.

No one can predict what's going to happen early next year with all the IR35 fallout but the general consensus is it's likely to be turbulent for 6-12 months.

A lot of people are talking about going perm but it's unlikely there will be enough perm jobs in the short term for all those ex-contractors.

I've recently finished a two year non-stop run at two different clients but in my niche, the current market looks like the worst I can ever remember.

Comment

Originally posted by djm View Post
                    Does anyone have any advice?
                    Find a permanent role at another company

Comment

Working...
                    X