• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed - go perm or risk finding a new job in March?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I would have a party with such things. In my current contract I got offered a month extension on the proviso I didn't have any time off. As it happened I didn't have anything planned so not a problem.
    What was the consequence if you did have time off?

Comment

If I went perm with my current gig, but my role changed in that I'd be doing perm-related extras like interviewing and team-leading (doing none of these as a contractor), would that still make me IR35 vulnerable? I guess it'd raise a HMRC flag anyway as they wouldn't see work practices at that point, but it'd be a different role.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
        If I went perm with my current gig, but my role changed in that I'd be doing perm-related extras like interviewing and team-leading (doing none of these as a contractor), would that still make me IR35 vulnerable? I guess it'd raise a HMRC flag anyway as they wouldn't see work practices at that point, but it'd be a different role.
        Red flag to a crazy bull

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          What was the consequence if you did have time off?
          Presumably wouldn't have got renewed.

Comment

It seems to be common wisdom that Friday contractor, Monday perm is a magnet for HMRC investigation but can anyone tell me where this has come from? Yes, i know where the logic comes from but have HMRC actually said this is an issue? Is it possible they'll be happy to turn a blind eye as you're essentially doing what they want you to do - go perm and pay more tax.

I'm sure there are many of us in this situation. If we don't go perm, then the market will be flooded next April and a lot of firms without staff.

Comment

Common sense?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Common sense?
                But you (and many others) weren't alarmed in the past.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...n-trigger.html

I made a personal point about work practices here but it seems one poster thinks it means jot.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2691094
                Last edited by heyya99; 22 October 2019, 17:52.

Comment

Because back then there wasn't a rumour that letters are going to public sector contractors after the changes 2 years ago and HMRC hadn't written to 1500 GSK contractors telling them we are looking at you.

It's always been a risk but the heightened attention is making me much more nervous now. The sheer number of people going inside or perm must be an absolute honey pot for HMRC as well.

That's just my opinion. As said numbers of times now, up to you you form your own opinion and act accordingly.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 22 October 2019, 17:57.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Here we go again

I have no idea on your personal circumstances, but I’m also a BA, and I’m quite likely to be at the same place.

I’m backing my skill/experience and staying contracting. But I live in a good area for IT jobs, I have a war chest and I’m prepared to travel.

Reading your post, I would take the permie job, and close down your ltd company. You have nothing in there so it will be closed in a few weeks and then the tax man won’t be interested.

Keep an eye on the contract market after April 2020, and you can always start another company and come back in.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
                      Here we go again

I have no idea on your personal circumstances, but I’m also a BA, and I’m quite likely to be at the same place.

I’m backing my skill/experience and staying contracting. But I live in a good area for IT jobs, I have a war chest and I’m prepared to travel.

Reading your post, I would take the permie job, and close down your ltd company. You have nothing in there so it will be closed in a few weeks and then the tax man won’t be interested.

Keep an eye on the contract market after April 2020, and you can always start another company and come back in.
                      Re: starting another company. If you close old company down without gaining any tax advantage via MVL/ER (e.g. no/low distributable profits retained, decision made to close company to reduce risk of retrospective investigation), would it be possible to open a new company in ~6months/a year if outside contracts become available?

In the above example, company would be closed if current client made a 'policy' decision to force everyone via an Umbrella (no determination on status made). I am currently trying to determine the level of risk this would face of staying at the same client (offer of extension is likely, currently ends March) to ride out the storm of next year....

Comment

Working...
                      X