• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Warchests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kanulondon View Post
    As has been said by others I have seen many a reckless contractor in my 10 years in the contract market.

Met one guy, who spent it all and didn't have a pension pot set up. He said something about how his home will be his mortgage.

Many folks don't know how to cut their cloth accordingly. A friend of mine sweats at renewal time due to a big mortgage, new car and a wife that doesn't work. My outgoings are moderate but this is subjective right (childcare + school + mortgage + decent pension contribution) however we prioritised school over mortgage, so we don't live in a particularly flashy house. Got our pre-marital flats on the rental market so should be covered there.

I am on a rate abut 60% higher than when I started out 10 years ago and my war chest is OK. I haven't calculated precisely but I'm pretty sure I could go 18 months + but I'd stop (or lower) the pension contributions after a few months.

K
    oh, General? please?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      0.5% from HMRC.
      0.65% from nationwide instant access savings.

you can get more than 1% with a 3 month notice account.... On £20k CT the difference is between £75 and £150. I'll just pay early.
      If you have more money washing around then a savings account is worthwhile assuming it's not a pain in the arse to setup.

EDIT: Zopa does 5% but it's harder to get out and not guaranteed safe. Although in the past 7 years I've used them I've not lost s single penny to bad debt.
      Aldermore is 1% with payments taking 2 hours on weekdays.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
      X