• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Considering leaving Full Time and start contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    does this account for the costs of servicing the contract?
    travel, accommodation,subsistence, etc?
    ..and are you (the OP) assuming you'll move from contract to contract without any bench-time?

Comment

does this account for the costs of servicing the contract?
      travel, accommodation,subsistence, etc?
      I out in an online calculator to see how much this would come to, just taking into consideration a daily rate of 600£. Took out costs such as an estimate on accounting. Regarding expenses, I made it clear to the recruiter, wouldn't be interested in a contract if its not daily rate + expenses, so expenses need to be treated separately.

Comment

Originally posted by CFC View Post
        I out in an online calculator to see how much this would come to, just taking into consideration a daily rate of 600£. Took out costs such as an estimate on accounting. Regarding expenses, I made it clear to the recruiter, wouldn't be interested in a contract if its not daily rate + expenses, so expenses need to be treated separately.
        Let me guess, the recruiter said that was fine and that clients would agree to such a demand.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          ..and are you (the OP) assuming you'll move from contract to contract without any bench-time?
          I am not assuming that, although all the contractors I know in this industry are moving from contract to contract.

Comment

Let me guess, the recruiter said that was fine and that clients would agree to such a demand.
            No, they didn't say that. They said they will send this to the client, and they will schedule a call between me and the client to discuss this.

As I have mentioned my industry is niche, it deals with integrations between a SaaS HCM product and different vendors ( payroll, finance and so on ).
            Last edited by CFC; 14 October 2019, 19:43.

Comment

I am not assuming that, although all the contractors I know in this industry are moving from contract to contract.
              Ok, what bench time did you use when the online calculators indicated you "would be ending up around 2.5k extra per month in my pocket."?

Comment

No, they didn't say that. They said they will send this to the client, and they will schedule a call between me and the client to discuss this.

As I have mentioned my industry is niche, it deals with integrations between a SaaS HCM product and different vendors ( payroll, finance and so on ).
                Then have the call and see how it goes. If you can be guaranteed an EU gig for a few years at a £600+ rate + expenses, and that suits your lifestyle, it could be a great choice.

When you refer to EU contracts, would the roles be based there, or would it be UK based - each have their own complexities - IR35, insurance, and, of course brexit (sorry).

Comment

@OP.
                  how much <how long term> work is this likely to be?
                  if you've an in-demand skill, you have leverage.

if you're single, just go for it, and take your chances later.

or not, depending on your sense of adventure

Comment

Ok, what bench time did you use when the online calculators indicated you "would be ending up around 2.5k extra per month in my pocket."?
                    At 44 weeks per year at 600£ a day, the total income would be around 7100£. That's with expenses set at 3000£ per year, and no additional expenses from the company ( e.g laptop which is 2000£ a good one, maybe have a pension pot open and so on ).

To be honest, in consulting, I couldn't even take my days off last year because of an on-going project and had to move all of them to this year, so almost have 2 months worth of time off. If there is a remote option, I could still work, unless I am so sick that I'm dying, so 44 weeks seems like a reasonable time for a 1 year contract.

I'm a newbie, so please correct me guys if I'm seeing things wrong.

Comment

@OP.
                      how much <how long term> work is this likely to be?
                      if you've an in-demand skill, you have leverage.

if you're single, just go for it, and take your chances later.

or not, depending on your sense of adventure
                      Usually contracts for my industry are 6 months to a year, with potential extensions, but rarely go after the lifetime of an implementation project, so max would see it at 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X