• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Options For Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    The difference is that, at that time, the public sector were competing with the private sector who were still offering outside IR35 gigs, so people were jumping across.

I suspect there will be a lot fewer opportunities to jump this time.
    Yes, that's completely true, hence why I said maybe. Contractors will initially choose either bench or permanent employment so a lot of inside ir35 contracts with low rates will be snobbed and/or filled by mediocre contractors. Rate adjustment will consequently happen.

Man, 2020 is going to be so grim

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      Yes, that's completely true, hence why I said maybe. Contractors will initially choose either bench or permanent employment so a lot of inside ir35 contracts with low rates will be snobbed and/or filled by mediocre contractors. Rate adjustment will consequently happen.

Man, 2020 is going to be so grim
      I suspect there will also be non-mediocre contractors who can't afford the bench-time and will feel they have to accept the lower rate contracts. It will take a few months to settle down.

Comment

I'm seriously considering applying to permanent roles and avoid all the shenanigans.

If there's a good time to switch, it's now before everything really kicks in.

Comment

I'm seriously considering applying to permanent roles and avoid all the shenanigans.

If there's a good time to switch, it's now before everything really kicks in.
          "everything" could be as easy as clients paying largely increased rates to operate inside IR35.

The 'sky falling in' hysterics on here will be great for those of us looking to adapt and overcome
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            "everything" could be as easy as clients paying largely increased rates to operate inside IR35.

The 'sky falling in' hysterics on here will be great for those of us looking to adapt and overcome
            Can't see this happening.

Heard today that RBS have started communicating via agency.

Pretty much the same as Lloyds/Barclays. No renewals past 28/2 then either Umbrella (agency approved or FCSA approved) or Perm (though the agency aren't communicating this bit, for obvious reasons)

No contractor budget increase for business areas - this doesn't explicitly rule out rate increases if a business unit decided to, eg, cut one contractor in order to bump the rate for others.
            Last edited by Paralytic; 17 October 2019, 10:02.

Comment

after all your bench time and the struggles finding anything, all you can do is adapt and accept whatever you're given

Comment

after all your bench time and the struggles finding anything, all you can do is adapt and accept whatever you're given

Can't see this happening.

Heard today that RBS have started communicating via agency.

Pretty much the same as Lloyds/Barclays. No renewals past 28/2 then either Umbrella (agency approved or FCSA approved) or Perm (though the agency aren't communicating this bit, for obvious reasons)

No contractor budget increase for business areas - this doesn't explicitly rule out rate increases if a business unit decided to, eg, cut one contractor in order to bump the rate for others.
                What banks say and what they do in the fullness of time are two different things. They may well get to March/April and start offering bumped-up IR35 roles. They're not immune to the forces of supply and demand either.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

What banks say and what they do in the fullness of time are two different things. They may well get to March/April and start offering bumped-up IR35 roles. They're not immune to the forces of supply and demand either.
                  Let's see. I agree the need will still be there, but the budgets will not be increased so someone has to take the hit.

Comment

I have moved from the hysterics to the adapt and overcome thinking as well. As others are losing their heads hopefully this will open doors to the more calmly headed.

My gig is up on 20th December which is almost perfect timing I feel. If I have to take a IR35 caught role until April and ride out the storm then so be it - no big deal.

Or if I can get a role outside with a determination then great.

Last resort I am off snowboarding while UKPLC sorts itself out
                    Last edited by cojak; 18 October 2019, 08:32. Reason: No winking please...

Comment

Let's see. I agree the need will still be there, but the budgets will not be increased so someone has to take the hit.
                      I think you will see a half way house develop...

Comment

Working...
                      X