• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Options For Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    I have moved from the hysterics to the adapt and overcome thinking as well. As others are losing their heads hopefully this will open doors to the more calmly headed.

My gig is up on 20th December which is almost perfect timing I feel. If I have to take a IR35 caught role until April and ride out the storm then so be it - no big deal.

Or if I can get a role outside with a determination then great.

Last resort I am off snowboarding while UKPLC sorts itself out
    i'm tending to be more pragmatic. Can I survive with working through an umbrella for rest of career, if needed? Sure. If that's a stress free solution, then...

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
      i'm tending to be more pragmatic. Can I survive with working through an umbrella for rest of career, if needed? Sure. If that's a stress free solution, then...
      And 1/2 the money

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        And 1/2 the money

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        I pointed out I can live comfortably through an umbrella, so taken that into account.

Of course continuing as now would be much preferable but not going to unduly worry. Life's too short.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          In the public sector, at first, roles went from outside to inside with no rate adjustment but after seeing they were not attracting any contractors and actually contractors were leaving, they eventually started to put the rate up for contracts inside.

Maybe the same is going to happen in the private sector too, or at least we can just hope so.
          The DWP have recently declared some contractors I worked with recently as "inside" after being "outside" for 18 months. They have all been contracted through a "consultancy" now to keep them outside of IR35
          Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

The market is dismal for sure. I am in the position where the client I am at is not bothering to make a decision and is forcing everyone to go paye or leave. My gig finishes at the end of the year so have had an eye on the market now and there is little to nothing around, and for what there is the rates have tanked as they are taking advantage of an oversaturation of contractors in the market right now.

Bad times to be a contractor, I just hope it recovers.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              The only roles I see that are specifically 'Outside' are in the public sector.
              That’s because only the public sector clients are responsible for making that decision.
              Why would a private sector client offer a determination that they’re not responsible for now, but could well be in 6 months time?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                That’s because only the public sector clients are responsible for making that decision.
                Why would a private sector client offer a determination that they’re not responsible for now, but could well be in 6 months time?
                So that they can start as they intend to finish.. Im talking about the ones offering 3 months with likely renewal, or just 6 or 12 month contracts. Whilst they're not responsible for deciding yet they should be organising themselves as if they are, because they soon will be. Also if all parties entered a contract with clear intentions and common understanding, there will be no reason for either side to terminate prematurely.
                Last edited by CheeseSlice; 22 October 2019, 22:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Nut View Post
                  The market is dismal for sure. I am in the position where the client I am at is not bothering to make a decision and is forcing everyone to go paye or leave. My gig finishes at the end of the year so have had an eye on the market now and there is little to nothing around, and for what there is the rates have tanked as they are taking advantage of an oversaturation of contractors in the market right now.

Bad times to be a contractor, I just hope it recovers.
                  I really wish people would stop saying things like this. There is no single market <insert Brexit analogy here> - there are multiple markets covering multiple skills across multiple regions. Whilst the market may have tanked for a Tester in Taunton, it might be buoyant for a BA in Brechin.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    So that they can start as they intend to finish.. Im talking about the ones offering 3 months with likely renewal, or just 6 or 12 month contracts. Whilst they're not responsible for deciding yet they should be organising themselves as if they are, because they soon will be. Also if all parties entered a contract with clear intentions and common understanding, there will be no reason for either side to terminate prematurely.
                    Clients do not engage contractors on a mutually beneficial arrangement, but on what works for them. Unless there is a reason why they need to make an early determination, they won't. Many will realise sometime Feb/Mar next year that they have to make a determination and will say their contractors are inside.

Its up to individual contractors to assess their position and ensure they mitigate their own risk.

Comment

I'm focusing on Permanent jobs. Ir35 has hit the market and sure it'll recover a bit, but in the back drop of brexit and a possible recession soon, I can't see clients paying the old day rates for gigs for a long, long time. I'm hedging a bet that the future will be mostly FTC's. Will try and go permie for 2-3 years and take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                      X