• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Options For Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Yes because it's not a given that all agencies will reply back. Some of them may have already received their target number of CV's for that role and therefore will bin yours straightaway.
    No they will tell you that they will be acting for you then bin your cv - to stop you sending to other agencies

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      I've started seeing a few roles being advertised as outside for what are clearly private sector companies.

I suspect it's because the agent posting the job has no clue what they are doing though...
      So far the weirdest case I've come across was for a contract where the ir35 status was not mentioned and when I asked about it the agency's reply was "it's not something we are allowed to disclose at this stage; the end client will share this info with you at offer stage".

I did not go any further.

Comment

If you are ok to work inside IR35 I presume the market will open up a bit - I'm in South Wales and there is not much going on at the moment - however I would expect more roles out of LBB, Barclaycard etc coming on as the contractors who commute here for the roles will go back home.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
          If you are ok to work inside IR35
          if the rate gets adjusted accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            It's a numbers game. I applied to around 50 a day to get my current gig after 2 months of looking.
            What roles were you applying for? Fair play to you for your determination and resilience but I lost the will to live after applying for 10 roles when I had some extended bench time a few years ago. I can't imagine applying for hundreds and hundreds.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              I've started seeing a few roles being advertised as outside for what are clearly private sector companies.

I suspect it's because the agent posting the job has no clue what they are doing though...
              So far the weirdest case I've come across was for a contract where the ir35 status was not mentioned and when I asked about it the agency's reply was "it's not something we are allowed to disclose at this stage; the end client will share this info with you at offer stage".

I did not go any further.
              If you're sat on the bench earning zero its pretty crappy right now.

Assuming the rates advertised are OK for an outside-IR35 contract, but not inside, you will find yourself applying for these roles that state 3-6 months knowing that they may only last 2 months if you need to leave early.

I feel this will only improve in the new year. By improvement I mean clarity of client-determined status, not the availability of contracts on acceptable rates.

Comment

if the rate gets adjusted accordingly
                I'm not seeing any rate adjustments for inside and I can see a lot of people are going to be faced with either a long time on the bench, going perm (which in my case is worse that being inside on a brolly even with bonus and pension considered) or using an umbrella company and taking a huge hit to take home.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainCaveman View Post
                  I'm not seeing any rate adjustments for inside and I can see a lot of people are going to be faced with either a long time on the bench, going perm (which in my case is worse that being inside on a brolly even with bonus and pension considered) or using an umbrella company and taking a huge hit to take home.
                  In the public sector, at first, roles went from outside to inside with no rate adjustment but after seeing they were not attracting any contractors and actually contractors were leaving, they eventually started to put the rate up for contracts inside.

Maybe the same is going to happen in the private sector too, or at least we can just hope so.

Comment

In the public sector, at first, roles went from outside to inside with no rate adjustment but after seeing they were not attracting any contractors and actually contractors were leaving, they eventually started to put the rate up for contracts inside.

Maybe the same is going to happen in the private sector too, or at least we can just hope so.
                    The difference is that, at that time, the public sector were competing with the private sector who were still offering outside IR35 gigs, so people were jumping across.

I suspect there will be a lot fewer opportunities to jump this time.

Comment

Brexit isn’t helping the situation at all, and the other big factor is some major companies have restructured. They are following more “agile” working practices and as such are all over the place in terms of recruitment.

Transformation in IT has to keep happening, contract jobs will become available as a large static employee base is not cost effective for large organisations.

We should be moving more towards a freelancing culture and not away. That’s why IR35 is so damn stupid and a simple solution is required imho.

Comment

Working...
                      X