• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Other sectors outside banks halting all contractor renewals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other sectors outside banks halting all contractor renewals

I've heard from a good fiend of mine who's contracting at a telco that they too have decided not to renew any contracts after early 2020 whilst they wait for the IR35 picture to become clearer.

Who's going to be next?

Just everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I think any big to blue chip company who engage significant numbers of contractors are going to take the similar approach because as business models they will be far less trusting of lower level management to make the right calls.

Most small to medium size businesses will take a lead from the agencies as they tend to be clueless on average I find. I usually spend time explaining IR35 to them and they get it. I guess the fall of liability might scare some of them but I think a lot are shrewd enough not to be spooked if agencies do their jobs for once.

My current agency has suggested they would rather clients declare everyone outside to reduce the burden on them and increase the clients chances of attracting the best on the market and are advising clients how in reality its quiet simple for everyone to operate outside . No idea where the truth lies but this gives me some hope as I mostly work for smaller to medium companies.
      Last edited by dx4100; 18 October 2019, 10:09.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Just everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        Well, yes, it could be lots of organisations! I was hinting at if anyone knew of other specific examples.

Comment

I'm contracted to a large multi-national and I've had the dreaded invite to the "IR35 Discussion". I don't imagine it's going to be great news, though it's an interesting one because they recently went through a HUGE outsourcing drive and many internal teams only have contractors now

Comment

One big line in the sand drawn kicking out anyone who looks like a permie-tractors will happen at all organisations.

Going forward I hope the projects are structured correctly and outside contracts make a reappearance. Otherwise scarce talent roles will force day rates. MSP have already cottoned on to this and are taking outside contractors on in the public sector, the same will happen in the private sector as the cost saving gives them a competitive advantage even if the end client takes on contractors directly inside ir35.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              I've heard from a good fiend of mine who's contracting at a telco that they too have decided not to renew any contracts after early 2020 whilst they wait for the IR35 picture to become clearer.

I've been saying for a while that this model is generally where we'll end up, especially for larger clients where legal/risk will drive the decision. Why bother with the hassle of IR35 determination when you can just change your engagement model.

Who's going to be next?
              Its not really been discussed much here, but RBS is doing the same.
              Last edited by Paralytic; 18 October 2019, 11:12.

Comment

I wonder if any IR35 tax investigation/liability insurers are creating products for end clients?

Not sure how appealing or cost effective it would be though.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  I wonder if any IR35 tax investigation/liability insurers are creating products for end clients?

Not sure how appealing or cost effective it would be though.
                  The model seems to be pushing the risk and liability down to the contractor.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It was exactly the same in 2017 in the Public sector. Then March came and half organisations accepted some risk around having Inside IR35 contractors in uncharted waters over guaranteed risk of collapsing projects costing them millions.

I just don't get it why the private sector is tuliping their pants - If the public sector managed to muddle through the reform going 3rd year now, how hard could it be... It only requires an ounce of determination.

Comment

Working...
                    X