• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Other sectors outside banks halting all contractor renewals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sal View Post
    It was exactly the same in 2017 in the Public sector. Then March came and half organisations accepted some risk around having Inside IR35 contractors in uncharted waters over guaranteed risk of collapsing projects costing them millions.

I just don't get it why the private sector is tuliping their pants - If the public sector managed to muddle through the reform going 3rd year now, how hard could it be... It only requires an ounce of determination.
    One big difference.

Private sector (typically) has shareholders to answer to, and leaders have quarterly targets to reach and annual bonuses to earn. A mistake actually hits them in the pocket.

Public sector: make a mistake and either move to another department or retire with your gold-plated pension.

The Public Sector also had the risk of people moving to plentiful supply of outside IR35 contracts in the private sector. Where are people going to move post April 2020?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      It only requires an ounce of determination.
      It only requires an accurate determination.

Comment

just don't get it why the private sector is tuliping their pants
        I'm sure some HR departments are seeing it as an opportunity to reduce the contractor count and get a pat on the back.
        Others may not want to take any responsibility for getting it wrong.
        Last edited by krytonsheep; 18 October 2019, 16:24. Reason: wrong tag

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
          I've heard from a good fiend of mine who's contracting at a telco that they too have decided not to renew any contracts after early 2020 whilst they wait for the IR35 picture to become clearer.

Who's going to be next?
          Can one ask, which telco?

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
            I'm sure some HR departments are seeing it as an opportunity to reduce the contractor count and get a pat on the back.
            Others may not want to take any responsibility for getting it wrong.
            In my end client (£1.4bln manufacturing / tech, ~4500 staff), the HR dept think they are defending the business by replacing any contractors that nudge 2 years... they don't want the contractors to claim employee rights post 2 years.. (we have tried to educate them but they are not listening/understanding)

As a business, they certainly have become aware of their contractor usage, so I'm sure there are some budget holders using it as a way to reduce cost.

As for Responsibility In the same discussions re their view of risk at 2yrs, HR have also made it clear (though I'm not sure they intended to) that they have not even begun to think about how to deal with April! (so being ejected at 2 years might be a blessing in disguise!)

They also didn't seem to understand why we wanted commercial in the room instead of HR ... suddenly my Li/JS profiles now say "actively seeking" - funny that!

mjcp
            Last edited by mjcp; 22 October 2019, 16:41.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              Can one ask, which telco?
              Unfortunately I can't mention the name, my friend is working there under an NDA.

Comment

Unfortunately I can't mention the name, my friend is working there under an NDA.
                So, he's broken that NDA then?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  So, he's broken that NDA then?
                  Not really, I was due to start at the same client myself so I already knew who it was. Unfortunately it got canned last minute

Comment

Not really, I was due to start at the same client myself so I already knew who it was. Unfortunately it got canned last minute
                    So, you can share the client your were due to start with. Or did you sign an NDA too?
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 23 October 2019, 08:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X