Contracting in Germany Contracting in Germany
Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Nervous Newbie

Default Contracting in Germany

Can the assembled tribe recommend where I can straight advice on working in Germany. I've been contracting through a UK PSCfor about 5 years. Now I'm heading to Germany and i'm after straight advice on who to use. I've been directed to some contracting payroll companies who are recommending freiberufler status - but i would like to understand the ins and outs of starting a contract in NOvember, how to wind up / make dormant my Ltd company and avoid paying UK on my German earnings.

I realize i may need to pay for this advice but i want it to be informed and professional.

Where can I go ?

OC

Some things in Moderation

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make myself look wise and well read."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Nervous Newbie

Many Thanks - I’ve already plundered all the resources on here In the « blog posts ». Excellent stuff. I guess my fearis the one mentioned in one of the posts i saw when following you second link. How do i avoid a dodgy payroll company ? The ones ive spoken too make me feel like ive been talking to n Estate Agent or a Pension Advisor......

Does anyone have any recommendations or intel on Dynamic Contract Solutions or Access Financial ?

More fingers than teeth

Quote Originally Posted by OldCodger View Post
    Many Thanks - I’ve already plundered all the resources on here In the « blog posts ». Excellent stuff. I guess my fearis the one mentioned in one of the posts i saw when following you second link. How do i avoid a dodgy payroll company ? The ones ive spoken too make me feel like ive been talking to n Estate Agent or a Pension Advisor......

Does anyone have any recommendations or intel on Dynamic Contract Solutions or Access Financial ?
    The scam in Germany that everyone thought was legal, was you were employed on a low salary and the rest of it was paid offshore. The tax authorities clamped down on this several years ago.

It does appear that the pay roll companies operating today are generally compliant. Just make sure they register you for VAT, pay it monthly and the rest of your income is declared. The expenses should be detailed in a P&L statement at the end of the year. You will have to sign the tax declaration anyway, so you can check it then.
    I'm alright Jack

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The scam in Germany that everyone thought was legal, was you were employed on a low salary and the rest of it was paid offshore. The tax authorities clamped down on this several years ago.

It does appear that the pay roll companies operating today are generally compliant. Just make sure they register you for VAT, pay it monthly and the rest of your income is declared. The expenses should be detailed in a P&L statement at the end of the year. You will have to sign the tax declaration anyway, so you can check it then.
    Many Thanks @BlasterBates. Does anyone know the "market leaders" among the payroll companies ? Or is there any licencing secheme that gives confidence ? As I said the ones I've spoken to make me think they are as ethical as Estate Agents...