• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC rule out previous year's tax investigations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC rule out previous year's tax investigations

Does this mean those who have blanket IR35 assessments done at their clients, can switch to perm without fear of flagging up to HMRC? Or does it just mean that if you switch from OUT to IN, you won't be investigated.

HMRC IR35 Promise to Contractors - We Will Not Chase You for Back Tax

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    Does this mean those who have blanket IR35 assessments done at their clients, can switch to perm without fear of flagging up to HMRC? Or does it just mean that if you switch from OUT to IN, you won't be investigated.

No, it does not mean there is no risk if you switch to perm. Do you trust HMRC? It would be easy for them to investigate anyone and say they had misinterpreted what I’d say is a pretty woolly statement. Read the words they wrote carefully.

HMRC have promised very little.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 28 October 2019, 00:00.

Comment

I think it is safe to say the days of believing the HMRC will promise anything, are long gone. (If they ever existed)

Treat Everything they say with due diligence and caution.

As for 'reason for Fraud and Criminality', they can cite that prior to any investigation and carry on as usual.

I would have thought their telling companies Not to blanket assess while at one and the same time, issuing 1500 letters to GSK contractors would be consideration enough not to believe their promises.

Comment

HMRC IR35 Promise to Contractors – We Will Not Chase You for Back Tax
        Loan charge victims say hello...

Only a really gullible person would believe such empty promises.

Comment

For contractor news, I'd recommend this site rather than that clickbait, which is really opinion rather than fact.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...Factsheet_.pdf

"HMRC will not carry out targeted campaigns into previous years when
          individuals start paying employment taxes under IR35 for the first time. Organisations’
          decisions about whether workers are within the rules will not automatically trigger an enquiry
          into earlier years"

which is a very long way from saying you are immune from investigation. There won't be an automatic enquiry - someone will look at it and make a decision. Personally, I'd want to make sure my insurers were happy to cover it.

Comment

There are 1,500 GlaxoSmithKline contractors who I bet trust this promise as far as they can throw it.

Comment

Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                For contractor news, I'd recommend this site rather than that clickbait, which is really opinion rather than fact.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...Factsheet_.pdf

"HMRC will not carry out targeted campaigns into previous years when
                individuals start paying employment taxes under IR35 for the first time. Organisations’
                decisions about whether workers are within the rules will not automatically trigger an enquiry
                into earlier years"

which is a very long way from saying you are immune from investigation. There won't be an automatic enquiry - someone will look at it and make a decision. Personally, I'd want to make sure my insurers were happy to cover it.
                Dude read it carefully! A lot of contradictory wording going on.

This line says it all:

"rules will not automatically trigger an enquiry
                into earlier years"

They should add an in person investigation will trigger an investigation into all prior years and work done in the last 6 years.

Comment

While trying to dissect this week's HMRC missive is indeed laudable and responsible, I believe if people ignore all of the rhetoric and just assume that;

The HMRC will investigate as it pleases, for as far back as it pleases, may change the rules and the landscape, and will almost certainly not lead first by example,

...then I think people will be readier, if not ready, for all.

Comment

HMRC:

1) Don't know what they are doing...continually evidenced, my recent favourites are disregarding the outcome of their own CEST tool in a tribunal and dropping an IR35 investigation into a contractor that was working for HMRC themselves
                    2) Change the rules today to suit them tomorrow....continually evidenced, my recent favourite being when they said they wouldn't extend IR35 reform into the private sector when they introduced it to the public sector

The end
                    Last edited by 7specialgems; 29 October 2019, 14:05.

Comment

Working...
                    X