• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinion Please: Choosing between two offers Contract VS Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    I would go one further.

Take the contract now, irrespective of aims come April. Once in, work to Prove your method of operating places you outside IR35 and, before renewal times closer to April, be prepared to educate from within on the basis of a bullet pointed list of proofs.

Money-wise, bird in the hand etc also suggests going for the contract role.
    This is one of the reasons I am choosing this contract because it’s early days so I have more of a say in how it’s going to work rather than trying to fit in an existing team. And oh the politics come with it

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      One major factor whether you like it or not is your age. I've worked at several FTSE100 and Fortune 500 firms and hardly anyone in the IT department was much over 50.
      As time goes by, it's less likely you'll be offered a perm role. Another year or two and companies will be wondering when you'll be planning to retire which will make them even less likely to consider you.
      I did feel OLD and out of place in my previous gig working alongside of consultants who are in their mid 20 to 30s. They are keen and willing to do the long hours, long commute (across countries) and living out of the suitcase every week. At least with contract I know it’s a temporary arrangement.

This time round, I have not encountered much ageism. They are not supposed to ask for your age and if like others described one works on the CV to take out the time reference. They only asked for my ID when the offer is made. If after reviewing the age the offer is withdrawn, that’s definitely doggy! Perhaps because I have spent so long as a perm that I wanted to explore and be free. I think only time will tell if I have chosen wisely. Wish I have a crystal ball!

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post

If you have a massive mortgage and your pension plan was weak, and you have no way to pay off that mortgage without earning good money for the next 12-15 years, and you might be hungry and cold in retirement, best go perm, at least until the contract market looks healthier.

You're probably somewhere in between those two extremes. But you are probably closer to one than the other. The risk in the contract role is probably much higher. The reward also is higher. How much does the risk matter to you in your circumstances, and how much does the reward matter to you in your circumstances?

I jumped from perm at about your age. But honestly, I could have retired, if what I wanted to do wasn't more fun.
        Perhaps this is my mid life crisis moment that is driving me to push my boat out and step out of the comfort zone. I wanted to give it one more shot before the old age truly catch up with me. My mind refuses to accept my age. I got bored very quickly after taken VR not having a regular hobby to occupy my time. Since I am going back to work for money, I might just make as much as I can. Otherwise I might work as a volunteer for my local charity instead. For the reasons I listed in my other responses, I am willing to take the risk. Even if I only contract 60% of a year, the bottom line is the same as FT.
        It’s certainly character building to deal with uncertainties and rejections. What doesn’t kill us make us stronger

Comment

Originally posted by WindySong View Post
          What doesn’t kill us make us stronger
          As long as it doesn't truly kill you. Sounds like you have a non-disastrous future even if contracting goes pear-shaped, so do what you want to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
            I rejigged my CV a couple of years ago to remove references to age and dates. Instead I now give some sample engagements, including client details but without dates, highlighting the relevant skills and experience from each etc. I've been going for 20 years with over a dozen different clients so I pick and choose which sample engagements to include based on the target role.
            How well is this approach working for you? I've found it helpful in front-loading a cv with relevant content and getting through filters etc. However, I've not had much in the way of responses/feedback to suggest how well it works. I think it does create a problem where ATS/TAS parses and makes nonsense of the cv content when putting it into forms. If the cv gets in front of eyeballs it's less of an issue. However, I have had recruiters contact me to ask about dates (seeming reluctant to put the cv forward without them).

Edit. I've also tried leaving off location (because some recruiters are too location sensitive) and suspect this often results in not getting through.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
              I’ve taken all reference to my age off my cv. It’s against the law to discriminate on age, but I don’t want anything going against me.
              How have you approached this? Not as easy as it sounds while retaining content relevant to the role.

Comment

Working...
              X