• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opinion Please: Choosing between two offers Contract VS Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion Please: Choosing between two offers Contract VS Perm

Hi everyone,

Having been reading varies thread for a little while and knowing there are a lot of seasoned professionals on forum, I am posting my first dilemma for your advice. My apologies for the extremely lengthy post.

Background
    I am 55 and been in IT for 30 years not getting anywhere fast, I took a VR package last year and a few months break. When looking for a new opportunity earlier this year, the client offered me the choice between permanent and contractor, I chose to set up my own company to give contracting a go. However, my contract experience to date has not been fantastic, having worked two contracts in 7 months. Both supposed to be 6 months with potential extension. BUT, arriving on day one with 4 other new contractors, I was NOT given the work I was hired for and all of us got cut after only 3 months later. I was extremely lucky to walk into the 2nd contract the day after with a higher rate because it required European travel. However, this one was cut short again due to internal organisation. The client offered me the position as a perm which I turned down.
    That was in August and I was not so lucky to land another gig straight away. As others had indicated on the forum, the market is pretty tough out there. I found many agents fighting for the same position and if you are not on top of the pile, your application get nowhere! Then, I tipped my toe in the perm market and thought if nothing else, at least to practice my interview skills.
    I interviewed for a perm position with a global brand (Top 150 of Fortune 500) in Sep and didn’t get a clear Y/N assume it was filled. On my day to interview with a contract position last week, they just happen to made me an offer (£10K more than advertised). Then within 24 hours, I received the offer from the contract position too!
    This made it extremely tough to choose because both has its merits:
    Perm £80k + benefits, no bonus scheme, pension only 5%. Will be upgrading to the newest platform in the near future. Train journey 1.5 each way
    Contract: day rate £500 (not greatest) but a greenfield project and the management team looks very credible. Car journey 130 miles per day or 1.5hrs+ each way depending on traffic. Negatives: IR35 looming and there is no guarantee that this gig will remain outside
    Both offers me the intellectual challenge I am looking for and keep up to date with the latest technology so I will be very marketable with either project in 1.5-2 years time. My heart is on the contract position because it will have a higher take home pay (although not quite as much as 50%) and it’s a brand new project. BTW, my situation is that other half is in a secure and well paid job, a few BTLs and keeping a small mortgage on main resident. So I am only taking a minimum salary, £2k dividend and plan to put all earnings to maximise my pension.
    However, I am worried that during this turbulence times, am I taking too much of a risk because as one gets older, it will be harder to land a permanent job. I think it’s easier to go one direction than the other. Is my thinking correct? What will you do in my dilemma? I wanted to check my thinking with you seasoned professionals out there. Your opinion is greatly appreciated!

take the contract on the proviso that it will be outside IR35 when the client has to make the determination. You may need to help them make that decision. Make sure you clearly understand what is needed for it to be outside and make it just like that.

The rate is not brilliant, but it's a damn sight better than £80k.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I would go one further.

Take the contract now, irrespective of aims come April. Once in, work to Prove your method of operating places you outside IR35 and, before renewal times closer to April, be prepared to educate from within on the basis of a bullet pointed list of proofs.

Money-wise, bird in the hand etc also suggests going for the contract role.

Comment

FWIW, my 2-penneth; I'd be seriously considering the perm role from a work security point of view until all these IR35/off payroll changes have had the chance to get embedded & everyone knows the full impact. Then if contracting is still viable post April, maybe dip your toe in again.

Don't be dazzled by the contractor rates; there's no security in contracting & you could get binned in a second for whatever reason, & end up benched with zero £ coming in.

The only issue I personally would have with both roles is the 1.5 hours train, or car, journey. Is it sustainable for you long term?

Apart from that, I'd be considering the perm role, especially as you seem to have spent most of your working life 'perm' as opposed to 'contractor', so have no contractor hang-ups.
        One final thought, after April there might not be any contracting available in the sense that we currently know it, or have known it, so by taking the perm job you might be putting yourself ahead of the curve, & with better work security.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          FWIW, my 2-penneth; I'd be seriously considering the perm role from a work security point of view until all these IR35/off payroll changes have had the chance to get embedded & everyone knows the full impact. Then if contracting is still viable post April, maybe dip your toe in again.

Don't be dazzled by the contractor rates; there's no security in contracting & you could get binned in a second for whatever reason, & end up benched with zero £ coming in.

The only issue I personally would have with both roles is the 1.5 hours train, or car, journey. Is it sustainable for you long term?

Apart from that, I'd be considering the perm role, especially as you seem to have spent most of your working life 'perm' as opposed to 'contractor', so have no contractor hang-ups.
          One final thought, after April there might not be any contracting available in the sense that we currently know it, or have known it, so by taking the perm job you might be putting yourself ahead of the curve, & with better work security.
          Wrt the commute. In my experience, 1.5 hours on a train is a far preferable commute than 1.5 hours in a car. I used to use my train commute for extra sleep in the morning and open university course work in the evening.

Of course, that assumes a simple train journey with few changes and a regular service.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Wrt the commute. In my experience, 1.5 hours on a train is a far preferable commute than 1.5 hours in a car. I used to use my train commute for extra sleep in the morning and open university course work in the evening.

Of course, that assumes a simple train journey with few changes and a regular service.
            Seconded. Much as I hate any type of commuting, I've been travelling by rail/tube for many years now and it's fairly stress free. I can't imagine what 3 hours of daily driving would do to my stress levels with the volume of traffic on the roads these days. So, if everything else was equal, I'd definitely take the one with the rail commute.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
              Seconded. Much as I hate any type of commuting, I've been travelling by rail/tube for many years now and it's fairly stress free. I can't imagine what 3 hours of daily driving would do to my stress levels with the volume of traffic on the roads these days. So, if everything else was equal, I'd definitely take the one with the rail commute.

I can't think of anything worse than commuting on the peasant wagon. Not unless it is quicker than a car, and it would have be quicker by quite a bit.

My current commute when I'm not working from home is 1hr15 if I leave really early, or two hours at the worst. That would be 3-4 hours on the train. And the train is more likely to be delayed than the M62 (yes really).

Northern Powerhouse my arse!!!
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Always take the contract option
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  Always take the contract option
                  Why?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

One major factor whether you like it or not is your age. I've worked at several FTSE100 and Fortune 500 firms and hardly anyone in the IT department was much over 50. Without knowing your skills and experience, you're likely to face quite a bit of conscious or unconscious bias from hiring managers due to your age, especially for perm roles.

As per some of the comments above, I think the commute could be a big factor. Personally, 2.5 hours total driving a day is my maximum.

Depending on your financial risk, unless you've got very in demand skills, I would probably go for the perm job. As time goes by, it's less likely you'll be offered a perm role. Another year or two and companies will be wondering when you'll be planning to retire which will make them even less likely to consider you.

Comment

Working...
                    X