SDC - expected use of in-house libraries/technology to complete technical tasks SDC - expected use of in-house libraries/technology to complete technical tasks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 19 of 19

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    so Don't Do IT Then.
    FFS.
    what is it you want to hear?
    Whether or not in the opinion of other dev contractors they would consider an edict to use an in-house library to do the work to be an unreasonable level of direction from the end client

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Quote Originally Posted by 7specialgems View Post
    Whether or not in the opinion of other dev contractors they would consider an edict to use an in-house library to do the work to be an unreasonable level of direction from the end client

If YOU consider it unreasonable, then YOU have to walk away.

Others wouldn’t use the term “unreasonable” and just consider that’s how this particular client works.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Respect my authoritah!

Everyone has said that it is not unreasonable and almost certainly not SDC. You don't believe that, so best quit.

Your concern about peer review is also ludicrous. In some industries it is imposed by regulators.

Thread closed.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Super poster

Regardless of whether or not it falls under SDC, is neither here nor there as far as they are concerned.

Those are the tools they want you to use (hint: everyone has to do it), so if you don't, you will have problems with them.

Either stay and use them, or don't.

Making much more of a fuss about it may take the decision out of your hands anyway.

Contractor Among Contractors

It works well but the world's moved on since they built them and there is equivalent vanilla functionality in the underlying software now.

I've discussed this with the developers but it is their little feifdom and despite the above, they are insisting that it continues to be used.
    Reading your post, it sounds like you just don't like what they're doing and want to change it. Nothing to do with SDC.

If this is their architecture standard, then you don't get to decide, so follow the standard unless you can prove it wont work. Or, if you feel it would be unprofessional to do it, just don't accept the job and walk away stating your reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Reading your post, it sounds like you just don't like what they're doing and want to change it. Nothing to do with SDC.
    Fair comment but not neccessarily no, I was more concerned that it was too controlling for me and inefficient a solution for them.

In any case I have continued to read around and it looks like I've gone down the rabbit hole HMRC would want us to fall down with their intepretation of SDC.

There's some good stuff from Andy Vessey here which cites case law to give a more realistic interpretation of SDC and make provisions for "specifications and guidelines":

“Does providing a brand guide for a marketing contractor to use when working on a client’s project mean SDC applies? In practice no, because if the client wants work produced in a particular manner – such as specifying the tone of voice of marketing copy - but is not giving detailed instruction as to how the contractor goes about writing the actual copy that adopts the required tone of voice, then SDC is not present.”
    Having read that I am a lot more chilled out.

I did ask in the OP if I was taking it too far!

As a PM there have been gigs where I have to do all my reporting on a specific clients PM application.
    Even if I found it clunky and frankly crap I still had to use it for all my reports. Its nothing to do with SDC but simply the process in use at that client.

As others have said, suck it up or leave

Super poster

Fair comment but not neccessarily no, I was more concerned that it was too controlling for me and inefficient a solution for them.

In any case I have continued to read around and it looks like I've gone down the rabbit hole HMRC would want us to fall down with their intepretation of SDC.

There's some good stuff from Andy Vessey here which cites case law to give a more realistic interpretation of SDC and make provisions for "specifications and guidelines":

Having read that I am a lot more chilled out.

I did ask in the OP if I was taking it too far!
    and the first line of the first reply was was saying that you are..........
    See You Next Tuesday

Respect my authoritah!

Let's try that again.

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Thread closed.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath