• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Handcuff Rule - Anyone been taken to court?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by checkerman View Post
    If a court rules in the favor of the agency - and he then decides to shut down the company - how can the money be retrieved from the individual ? I'm sure I saw a post exactly on this forum where an agency/someone was owed a lot of money, they ruled in their favor, the amount wasn't paid, went back to court, agreed payment terms were setup, nothing paid, company shutdown, and the advice on this forum was to just forget about ever getting your money.
    If the court ruled in the agency's favour, then the agency would be creditor to the company and I would have thought they could have challenged the liquidation of the company.

This is assuming the handcuff clause was in the company's name. I wouldn't put it past agency's getting contractors to sign on a personal basis.

Did you find out why he logged onto the HMRC website?

Comment

But my actual question was "I'm interested in seeing if anyone else has had this or actually gone to court ?" and "failing that is shutting down the company not an option ?
      It very rarely happens and only happens if either the agency is being a dickhead (judges call that vexatious and rarely rule in their favour) or they have a really good case (very rare). If they do have a case, then what is more likely to happen is that under the auspices of 'Without Prejudice' an arrangement is made whereby a smaller fee would be paid to the agency.

I'm just intrigued at how likely an agency will successfully win - and if they do what are the chances of them getting the money they are 'owed' ( I will report back here if it ever gets that far)

For instance they have sent a bill for a loss of earnings of 6mnths. Well his renewal is 3mnths, so if he leaves after 3, how valid is that claim ?
      It's all about facts. The agent has to provde that the contractor has breached the clause, that the clause is fair and resonable, and that the losses suffered are correct.
      If the contract was for 3 months then getting 6 months of losses awarded is for the birds. It's a starting position for a negotiation (see first point). Also when going to court the 'without prejudice' letters aren't evidence so the full starting amount is where the claim starts. Another reason why these rarely end up in court as the starting valuie is too high. Judges are not happy about cases that should never have been brough to court. They are a last resort not a starting position.

If a court rules in the favor of the agency - and he then decides to shut down the company - how can the money be retrieved from the individual ? I'm sure I saw a post exactly on this forum where an agency/someone was owed a lot of money, they ruled in their favor, the amount wasn't paid, went back to court, agreed payment terms were setup, nothing paid, company shutdown, and the advice on this forum was to just forget about ever getting your money.
      Yep. **** all to get from a closed company. But the contractor could end with a cease and desist court order preventing them from doing further work for the client. Best to avoid it getting that far by seeking legal advice.

IANAL
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The amount they were asking for seemed somewhat high, plus he was given two different figures. The invoice he was sent is actually more than what he they are now claiming for - all be it only slightly lower.

I do know someone who was taken to court recently in a completely different line of work - they were a salesman and permanent member of staff and were moving to another company that sold similar products - a claim for money was made against him, but only a cease was granted, and he couldn't start for 6mnths at his new company.

To clarify it wasn't HMRC, but looks like a court/small claims court claim. The screenshot showed gov.uk website. not hmrc, my bad.

I'm glad it's not me in this position, but knowing the agency I would hate for them to win! I know a number of contractors that have switched from them to another agency when they shouldn't have done. Luckily I dodged them at the last minute and went with another more reputable agency before signing with them. At the time I didn't know what they were like but went with the agency that was paying almost 100pd more....It was only after I started and met some contractors doing the same role, getting paid far less, and having to wait over two months to get their money. But hey they signed the contract.....

Thanks everyone, its great to get some feedback, I will let you know what happens.

checkerman

Comment

Thrown Out

An update.

Court date was due next week.

Judge has thrown it out before getting there.

I don't have any more details than that, or the reasons behind it.

Comment

An update.

Thanks for getting back, it'd be interesting to know what happened.

Comment

An update.

We need a lot more details

1) Did you serve a defence

2) Did they serve a reply to defence

3) Was there a pre trial case management conference call

4) Was it county court

5) Were witness statements exchanged

6) Were skeleton arguments exchanged

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
                We need a lot more details

1) Did you serve a defence

2) Did they serve a reply to defence

3) Was there a pre trial case management conference call

4) Was it county court

5) Were witness statements exchanged

6) Were skeleton arguments exchanged
                No we don't, you do but it's up to the OP to say what he wants and given this is second hand information regarding a friend I suspect he knows little more than he's told us
                Last edited by eek; 18 September 2020, 07:42.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'll be spilling all the beans on my case when I get a court hearing.

Unless I lose of course.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    No we don't, you do but it's up to the OP to say what he wants and given this is second hand information regarding a friend I suspect he knows little more than he's told us
                    If he says that the judge threw out the case then that implies it went all the way to trial - I want to know if the OP really means that or is confused

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
                      If he says that the judge threw out the case then that implies it went all the way to trial - I want to know if the OP really means that or is confused
                      I do wonder if "judge threw it out" actually meant the other party withdrew from the process.

Comment

Working...
                      X