• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contacts from Pimps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They usually want to quiz you on previous roles to build up a profile of that company. Any names they get from you are a bonus.

Basically it's all information gathering in order for them to approach the client and get on their books.

Don't stand for it. Usually you'll find it's the new recruits who are given this role.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
      They usually want to quiz you on previous roles to build up a profile of that company. Any names they get from you are a bonus.

Basically it's all information gathering in order for them to approach the client and get on their books.

Don't stand for it. Usually you'll find it's the new recruits who are given this role.
      You'd think that would be the case but not always perhaps. I recently had two Partner level recruiters approach me on LinkedIn and once connected they refused to answer any of my messages even after one scheduled a call with me and then didn't call.

These were not new recruitment monkeys who've switched from flipping burgers for a living and I find to hard to believe they would ever bother with CV harvesting. One of them even advertises that he deals with roles up to £1m p.a. package (and I'm nowhere near that league.)

Strange times.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        You'd think that would be the case but not always perhaps. I recently had two Partner level recruiters approach me on LinkedIn and once connected they refused to answer any of my messages even after one scheduled a call with me and then didn't call.

These were not new recruitment monkeys who've switched from flipping burgers for a living and I find to hard to believe they would ever bother with CV harvesting. One of them even advertises that he deals with roles up to £1m p.a. package (and I'm nowhere near that league.)

Strange times.
        Or their LI profiles are as phony as their tans?

Comment

Strange times.
          Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Or their LI profiles are as phony as their tans?
          Not in this case. One works for a big recruitment firm that I've known for years. The other works for a boutique firm who are one of the top players in executive search. Between them they know about 50 of my contacts, mainly CIOs and IT directors.

Comment

Strange times.
            Perhaps not applicable to the level you mentioned but many recruiters have quotas for contacts, etc. Hence the LI requests, irrelevant job ads via e-mail, unsolicited calls, etc. If I get such a call I always turn it around by asking them about their role (some have no idea what I am asking), how long they have been with the recruiter, their specialty, and what placements they recently made. Many times out of ten it turns out they have recently joined the front-line grunts desk and haven't a clue.

Comment

Those ones are alright - set some time to talk about what you're up for, where you've been, they get a feel for your personality etc.

Don't take up the offer to meet recruiters in person unless you're in the area and genuinely need to kill some time - nothing good ever comes of it.
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
                Perhaps not applicable to the level you mentioned but many recruiters have quotas for contacts, etc. Hence the LI requests, irrelevant job ads via e-mail, unsolicited calls, etc. If I get such a call I always turn it around by asking them about their role (some have no idea what I am asking), how long they have been with the recruiter, their specialty, and what placements they recently made. Many times out of ten it turns out they have recently joined the front-line grunts desk and haven't a clue.
                Good tactic! I expect most of the time they'll reply they've just moved from working in an estate agent or a bar or they're a new grad.

Having once worked as a young-ish graduate for a pimping type financial advisor firm, I know these types of work can be difficult and not a rewarding career move for many young people, especially with the current industry downturn. Most leave within a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Does anyone actually respond to this kind of thing from Pimps?

I have read your profile with interest and I am keen to understand your profile further so I can direct relevant opportunities in your direction.

I propose having a conversation to ascertain what opportunities would be of interest to you personally.

When do you have time for us to speak

Personally I prefer the ones who say "I have a gig at x location at n per day - are you interested?" but maybe I missing something.
                  Got one of those yesterday afternoon.

Some pimp I never spoke to before, from an agency I hadn't dealt with for 2-3 years, called me after work to know more about my current situation.

He asked:
                  - Where I am contracting at the moment
                  - What my desired day rate is
                  - In which cities/areas I'd be willing to work

Didn't have any gigs, didn't ask for any references details, just said he'd be getting in touch if/when he has gigs that match my profile. I say I'm not going to hear from him ever again.

Comment

Strange!

What was the motivation behind that call then? If not asking any questions to boost his contact sheet, it would appear to be a successful waste of time...

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                      Those ones are alright - set some time to talk about what you're up for, where you've been, they get a feel for your personality etc.

Don't take up the offer to meet recruiters in person unless you're in the area and genuinely need to kill some time - nothing good ever comes of it.
                      Word!
                      Thought of going for it out of boredom.
                      Most recent was with one of big agency names.
                      Ended up being on the training ground for one of their newbies.
                      Next day... received a with list of roles, none of which what i’ve asked for.
                      There isn’t any loyalty in this game on either side... why invest in a relationship?

Comment

Working...
                      X