• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it me?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me?

Current clientco is the first organisation I have worked at for 20+ years where they are using excel to manage testing. Is this widespread and something I have missed?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Current clientco is the first organisation I have worked at for 20+ years where they are using excel to manage testing. Is this widespread and something I have missed?

It's not just you. I've seen it used in several clients over the years
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've seen it used many times, sometimes in conjunction with something like JIRA.

It never ceases to amaze me how organisations can skimp on investing in proper tools for such an important part of the life cycle.

Comment

it's not you.

My main client at the moment runs their entire business on Excel.... Despite having spent pots of cash on enterprise systems. The users don't want to lose their spreadhseets.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Widespread.

Clients big and small - as long as it's the latest version of excel they think they're at the cutting edge

Comment

I've seen it used a lot where there is a proper tool in place but insufficient licenses for everyone to access it. This leads to lots of exports to excel for people to do updates that someone else then needs to put back into the system.

It's not just testing that happens with...

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              it's not you.

My main client at the moment runs their entire business on Excel.... Despite having spent pots of cash on enterprise systems. The users don't want to lose their spreadhseets.
              You sir are sitting on what is known as a gold mine. Keep spotting inefficient processes that involve spreadsheets and offer new systems that promise to automate them and integrate with other systems.

Deliver new system, train users, and let them run it for a few months as they declare great success in their monthly company e-bulletin. The department manager gets promoted or moves company into a plush new role. A month or two later they gradually move back to using spreadsheets as they enjoy this more, it allows them more freedom to customise processes and for team leaders to hire more temps to help with the additional work involved. They'll eventually forget about their new system.

Rinse and repeat with another cumbersome spreadsheet process... and keep invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                I've seen it used many times, sometimes in conjunction with something like JIRA.

It never ceases to amaze me how organisations can skimp on investing in proper tools for such an important part of the life cycle.
                I used the Zenith extension for JIRA at a different clientco recently - it wasn’t perfect but it was better than Excel.

Comment

I even had a client who used excel to mock up screen designs!!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    You sir are sitting on what is known as a gold mine. Keep spotting inefficient processes that involve spreadsheets and offer new systems that promise to automate them and integrate with other systems.

Deliver new system, train users, and let them run it for a few months as they declare great success in their monthly company e-bulletin. The department manager gets promoted or moves company into a plush new role. A month or two later they gradually move back to using spreadsheets as they enjoy this more, it allows them more freedom to customise processes and for team leaders to hire more temps to help with the additional work involved. They'll eventually forget about their new system.

Rinse and repeat with another cumbersome spreadsheet process... and keep invoicing.
                    To be very clear... this is a public sector gold mine and I’m outside ir35

There are actually far more interesting things to fix than spreadsheets. But at a pinch I could do that. Several million pound HPC infrastructure in a hybrid cloud is somewhat more captivating..
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X