Is it me? Is it me?
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is it me?

  1. #1

    Default Is it me?

    Current clientco is the first organisation I have worked at for 20+ years where they are using excel to manage testing. Is this widespread and something I have missed?


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  2. #2

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Current clientco is the first organisation I have worked at for 20+ years where they are using excel to manage testing. Is this widespread and something I have missed?


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    It's not just you. I've seen it used in several clients over the years
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

    Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    334

    Default

    I've seen it used many times, sometimes in conjunction with something like JIRA.

    It never ceases to amaze me how organisations can skimp on investing in proper tools for such an important part of the life cycle.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,259

    Default

    it's not you.

    My main client at the moment runs their entire business on Excel.... Despite having spent pots of cash on enterprise systems. The users don't want to lose their spreadhseets.
    See You Next Tuesday

  5. #5

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Wales....Land of God, Sheep, Song and f*&k all coal :-(
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Widespread.

    Clients big and small - as long as it's the latest version of excel they think they're at the cutting edge

  6. #6

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,103

    Default

    I've seen it used a lot where there is a proper tool in place but insufficient licenses for everyone to access it. This leads to lots of exports to excel for people to do updates that someone else then needs to put back into the system.

    It's not just testing that happens with...

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    it's not you.

    My main client at the moment runs their entire business on Excel.... Despite having spent pots of cash on enterprise systems. The users don't want to lose their spreadhseets.
    You sir are sitting on what is known as a gold mine. Keep spotting inefficient processes that involve spreadsheets and offer new systems that promise to automate them and integrate with other systems.

    Deliver new system, train users, and let them run it for a few months as they declare great success in their monthly company e-bulletin. The department manager gets promoted or moves company into a plush new role. A month or two later they gradually move back to using spreadsheets as they enjoy this more, it allows them more freedom to customise processes and for team leaders to hire more temps to help with the additional work involved. They'll eventually forget about their new system.

    Rinse and repeat with another cumbersome spreadsheet process... and keep invoicing.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    I've seen it used many times, sometimes in conjunction with something like JIRA.

    It never ceases to amaze me how organisations can skimp on investing in proper tools for such an important part of the life cycle.
    I used the Zenith extension for JIRA at a different clientco recently - it wasn’t perfect but it was better than Excel.


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    300

    Default

    I even had a client who used excel to mock up screen designs!!

  10. #10

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    You sir are sitting on what is known as a gold mine. Keep spotting inefficient processes that involve spreadsheets and offer new systems that promise to automate them and integrate with other systems.

    Deliver new system, train users, and let them run it for a few months as they declare great success in their monthly company e-bulletin. The department manager gets promoted or moves company into a plush new role. A month or two later they gradually move back to using spreadsheets as they enjoy this more, it allows them more freedom to customise processes and for team leaders to hire more temps to help with the additional work involved. They'll eventually forget about their new system.

    Rinse and repeat with another cumbersome spreadsheet process... and keep invoicing.
    To be very clear... this is a public sector gold mine and I’m outside ir35


    There are actually far more interesting things to fix than spreadsheets. But at a pinch I could do that. Several million pound HPC infrastructure in a hybrid cloud is somewhat more captivating..
    See You Next Tuesday

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •