• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silly agent games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    I assume you asked him to forward the email you sent and checked the email headers?
    Thanks for your reply, but at this point I think I'm just going to go with the original guy, agent A. He says he sent over the CV, I'm guessing that if he actually didn't, he wouldn't have gone to the trouble to call me. This way, I'm totally above board at least and it's just a numbers game. If I get screwed on this, there will be another one.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
      Thanks for your reply, but at this point I think I'm just going to go with the original guy, agent A. He says he sent over the CV, I'm guessing that if he actually didn't, he wouldn't have gone to the trouble to call me. This way, I'm totally above board at least and it's just a numbers game. If I get screwed on this, there will be another one.
      If I were Agent A and had told a contractor I had submitted a CV, but hadn't in order to submit other CVs and remove that contractor from the competition, and then found out that said contractor was going to go with Agent B, I'd probably have the level of integrity that meant I'd phone said contractor and reiterate the lie in the hope of not getting found out.

But good luck. Do let us know if you get an interview

Comment

If I were Agent A and had told a contractor I had submitted a CV, but hadn't in order to submit other CVs and remove that contractor from the competition, and then found out that said contractor was going to go with Agent B, I'd probably have the level of integrity that meant I'd phone said contractor and reiterate the lie in the hope of not getting found out.

THIS! Recruiter tactics!

Comment

I know we are really starting to guess now, but I think things would be different under your scenario. First, I don't think agents do anything unless it could make them some money, and not getting found out won't make them any money. Not worth a phone call or a lie.

Assuming Agent A could only submit 3 CVs and was only pretending to represent everyone else, it would be in his best interest to keep quiet. He's still got 3 chances with CVs that he thought were better than mine anyway. And if I do go in under Agent B and somehow win the contract, he can raise a stink about him representing me first. In effect, he's got 3 and a half chances now.

Comment

He's still got 3 chances with CVs that he thought were better than mine anyway.
            It is all guess work....however....

Speed is often of the essence, and he has already submitted his 3 CV quota. And yours is better than all 3.

He really doesn't want you going with Agency B and getting the role over his first 3. So he puts you on his wait list, tells you that you have been submitted, and waits.

One of the first 3 get the gig, happy days for him, you never hear from him again.

None of them do, and he is allowed to submit more CV's, yours goes in then.

And if you then get it, great for you both.

The problem for you comes if one of the first 3 get it, or or one of Agency B's first 3 get it (you could have been in that 3)

Comment

Thanks Fidot, I'll try to do that in the future. How do you word it?
              I'm happy for <agency name> to represent me for the <abc> role/contract at <xyz company> at the rate of <£ xxx per day/hour> provided my CV will be presented to the end client within 2 working days/48 hours (or whatever time you decide is suitable, if you know there are a lot of agencies with the same role restrict it to one working day)

If after one or two days another agency calls you tell them about the clause and just ask them to check with the end client if your cv is with them, they are often happy to do so.

Sometimes they provide text you need to copy paste, which you should never accept just like that (one agency tried me to tie me in for the rest of my life for all roles at that company) just add this clause somehow into the text they provided if you do copy & paste

Comment

I know we are really starting to guess now,
                To be honest, I started guessing quite a while back

Comment

I know we are really starting to guess now, but I think things would be different under your scenario. First, I don't think agents do anything unless it could make them some money, and not getting found out won't make them any money. Not worth a phone call or a lie.

Assuming Agent A could only submit 3 CVs and was only pretending to represent everyone else, it would be in his best interest to keep quiet. He's still got 3 chances with CVs that he thought were better than mine anyway. And if I do go in under Agent B and somehow win the contract, he can raise a stink about him representing me first. In effect, he's got 3 and a half chances now.
                  Knowing the state of the market.... You'll go through all of this and you wont get an interview as the role has been pulled

Comment

I had this mess earlier this year..

First agent to get your CV to the client wins in my eyes... Don't sign anything at this point and tell agents to sort it with the client...

Stay out of it and if the opportunity goes then so be it... Don't get involved too deeply...

Comment

OK I've just had a bit of silly nonsense myself.

I applied for a permy role through an agent two and a half weeks ago, and heard nothing back. I assumed it had come to nothing. I then heard yesterday from a different agent about the same gig but on a contract basis, which I then applied to.

The two agents have phoned me today, both saying that the end client would like me to come in for an interview. They've both now got wind of each other, and I'm siding with the contract one. He's getting very nervous about the whole thing, and has asked me to send him a confirmatory email saying that I want to apply for the role on a contract basis and solely through his agency.

Surely this is just agent bull? Is there any chance of blow-back of any sort coming my way?

Comment

Working...
                      X