• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silly agent games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Synesthetic View Post
    OK I've just had a bit of silly nonsense myself.

I applied for a permy role through an agent two and a half weeks ago, and heard nothing back. I assumed it had come to nothing. I then heard yesterday from a different agent about the same gig but on a contract basis, which I then applied to.

The two agents have phoned me today, both saying that the end client would like me to come in for an interview. They've both now got wind of each other, and I'm siding with the contract one. He's getting very nervous about the whole thing, and has asked me to send him a confirmatory email saying that I want to apply for the role on a contract basis and solely through his agency.

Surely this is just agent bull? Is there any chance of blow-back of any sort coming my way?
    Agent bull? In this instance, it sounds like the client has told both of them, which has prompted agent 1 suddenly getting in touch again out the blue.

It's hard to tell what happened though, and you won't get a straight answer. It could be as simple as the client dragging his feet on reviewing CVs until today, and then seen he has you in from both.

You might be lucky, and get the interview through agent2, but be prepared for agent 1 throwing the toys out the pram, and you getting binned at some point as it isn't worth the hassle for the client.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Agent bull? In this instance, it sounds like the client has told both of them, which has prompted agent 1 suddenly getting in touch again out the blue.

It's hard to tell what happened though, and you won't get a straight answer. It could be as simple as the client dragging his feet on reviewing CVs until today, and then seen he has you in from both.

You might be lucky, and get the interview through agent2, but be prepared for agent 1 throwing the toys out the pram, and you getting binned at some point as it isn't worth the hassle for the client.
      Which is exactly what happened to me. Both agents want their pound of flesh out of this and will happily ruin if for you as they've nothing to lose. You cannot rely on one of them backing off and doing the best thing for you or the client.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is a good time to point out that it annoys me no end when clients give a role to multiple agencies at same time.

Are they really not aware of what happens when they all post the role on the same job sites?

In my job emails (eg skills, area) it's pretty obvious when it's the same role with multiple agents, worst I've seen was the same job with 9 agents.

Comment

I applied for a permy role through an agent two and a half weeks ago, and heard nothing back. I assumed it had come to nothing. I then heard yesterday from a different agent about the same gig but on a contract basis, which I then applied to.

The two agents have phoned me today, both saying that the end client would like me to come in for an interview. They've both now got wind of each other, and I'm siding with the contract one. He's getting very nervous about the whole thing, and has asked me to send him a confirmatory email saying that I want to apply for the role on a contract basis and solely through his agency.

Surely this is just agent bull? Is there any chance of blow-back of any sort coming my way?
          Unless I've misread it completely, I'd be more concerned about the end client wanting a permie and contractor to do the same work...

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            This is a good time to point out that it annoys me no end when clients give a role to multiple agencies at same time.

Are they really not aware of what happens when they all post the role on the same job sites?

In my job emails (eg skills, area) it's pretty obvious when it's the same role with multiple agents, worst I've seen was the same job with 9 agents.
            I don’t think they really care to be frank... They wouldn’t be using agents if they cared...

They just one a 3 to 6 people at interview or reasonable ability... How that happens they couldn’t give a monkey...

Comment

Just before I interviewed for a contract this week I got a call from another agency about the same role. It was one of those where I guessed the client name before the agent had a chance. He asked if I'd already applied for the role which I confirmed for him so we could end the conversation there.

Not satisfied with this he then asks, "so err... what kind of rate are you looking for? just so I can update our system.."

Not wanting any undercutting I said I didn't want to say, and then he got quite stroppy. He kept complaining so I just had to say 'goodbye' and put the phone down on him to get rid.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Just before I interviewed for a contract this week I got a call from another agency about the same role. It was one of those where I guessed the client name before the agent had a chance. He asked if I'd already applied for the role which I confirmed for him so we could end the conversation there.

Not satisfied with this he then asks, "so err... what kind of rate are you looking for? just so I can update our system.."

Not wanting any undercutting I said I didn't want to say, and then he got quite stroppy. He kept complaining so I just had to say 'goodbye' and put the phone down on him to get rid.
                I'd have said my rate + 20%. And then put the phone down.

Comment

If one was perm and one was contract, they must be treated as different roles in terms of giving permission to represent - why it's so important to really restrict what exactly you are consenting to. Should include specific role with specific company at specific location and for a limited period.

Comment

Update:

Just had a telephone interview with the client! Agent A actually came through and had sent my CV over, Agent B was full of it. In this circumstance, the simplest and most ethical approach of telling the second agent to sling his hook was also the best thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                      Update:

Just had a telephone interview with the client! Agent A actually came through and had sent my CV over, Agent B was full of it. In this circumstance, the simplest and most ethical approach of telling the second agent to sling his hook was also the best thing to do.
                      Give Agent A my apologies next time you speak to him.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2696097

(he's still a liar though ))

Comment

Working...
                      X