• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Silly agent games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly agent games

I've got a bit of silliness with agents and I'm not sure what is the best way to handle it

Agent A called and said he wanted to send my CV over to the client. He was a bit of a jerk , repeatedly asking me if I could handle something that was listed as a core skill. He called me the next day to say he was going to send the CV. I'm fairly certain I never sent a written confirmation that he represents me, but I am certain that I told him so over the phone.

Agent B called and talked to me about a role, it sounded perfect for my skills. He was really excited until we figured out that it is the same role as I already confirmed with Agent A. I was ready to leave it at that, but Agent B seems determined to send me through. A day later, he calls again and says he has confirmed with the client that they do not have my CV. Agent B says "It's up to you. I'm going to send over confirmation of representation and you can ping it back to me"

I don't want to be involved with these silly games, but I would also like my CV to get in front of the client.

What should I do? I'm thinking of sending the email back with something like "I confirm that Agent B can represent me until Agent A asserts his right for representation"

What's the worst that can happen if these two agents get into a conflict? The client will get tired and bin my CV? I can't imagine being liable for any damages.

Suggestions please....

I confirm that Agent B can represent me until Agent A asserts his right for representation"
    That's not going to work. Agent B doesn't care and Agent A will swear he had that. It's too woolly.

I've been bitten by dual representation in this exact scenario before and I got binned off in the car park of the interview with the two agents pestering the client so he cancelled the interview. Very annoying so I do my very best to avoid this now.

I would get A to send you an email stating whether or not they have sent the CV over. They are a little less likely to lie in a mail that over the phone but they still might. If agent A confirms he sent it then I'd just sit back and wait. As much as agent A might lie about representation then B is just as, if not more likely to lie about client not having your CV. Difficult situation I know.

If you start pushing them they are even more likely to start telling lies to cover themselves. You are almost damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Try to get the mail of agent A first.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that NorthernLad, that's exactly what I was thinking.

The second agency has sent me through a confirmation that he wants me to sign that plainly says I haven't given permission to any other agency to represent me. That's obviously untrue and I certainly won't be signing anything like that. If I ever doubted that the second agency wasn't trying something dodgy as heck at least I know now.

I'll try to get agent A to confirm that he sent my CV. I'm sure he'll say yes no matter what. I'll tell Agent B that I am not signing what they sent.

Comment

For future reference, only give permission to represent provided cv is submitted within days. In your case, if x=2, you could give agency b the same permission after a couple of days provided they confirm that client has not received your cv.
        It's not foolproof, but the more restrictions you get them to commit to in writing, the less chance of getting screwed over.
        Good luck!!

Comment

Thanks Fidot, I'll try to do that in the future. How do you word it?

Comment

I sent a mail to agent A last night asking him when he submitted my CV.

I might go on Linked In today and see if I can stir things up a bit. Before my last role I was getting screwed around by an agency and contacted the end client by Linked In and they forced the agent to do what we wanted. In this situation, I don't know exactly who at ClientCo I am looking for, so it might be tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              I sent a mail to agent A last night asking him when he submitted my CV.

I might go on Linked In today and see if I can stir things up a bit. Before my last role I was getting screwed around by an agency and contacted the end client by Linked In and they forced the agent to do what we wanted. In this situation, I don't know exactly who at ClientCo I am looking for, so it might be tougher.
              I would get Agent B to confirm this is still the case that your CV isnt submitted. If so, email agent A and withdraw representation and get agent B to represent.

At least you have a paper trail of representation.

Comment

I usually phrase the right to represent email in a similar form to the below:

I am happy for "agency" to represent me for this role on the proviso my CV is actually sent to the client for consideration immediately, and also not held in any kind of wait list, or secondary set of CV's

Comment

This morning I got a frantic email and call from Agent A who swore he sent my CV. He also swore that he sent me a written confirmation of representation (never made it to my inbox) and he knows the end client like his brother.

I told Agent B that Agent A has the representation and I'm going with him. Both seem untrustworthy so I am going with what is simpler for me.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                    This morning I got a frantic email and call from Agent A who swore he sent my CV. He also swore that he sent me a written confirmation of representation (never made it to my inbox) and he knows the end client like his brother.

I told Agent B that Agent A has the representation and I'm going with him. Both seem untrustworthy so I am going with what is simpler for me.
                    I assume you asked him to forward the email you sent and checked the email headers?

Comment

Working...
                    X