The trials of a seasoned contractor The trials of a seasoned contractor
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 62

More time posting than coding

Default The trials of a seasoned contractor

In a previous role (in Europe) I was greeted by "I didn't expect someone so old". I'm seasoned, not old. Being at the half-century in years certainly brings its challenges. My cv goes back around seven years in detail (which has a particular focus in terms of work) and then the past is lost in vagueness. Most of the great work I did was long ago and to highlight it also highlights age. Walked into an interview last year and clearly they were expecting someone younger. I've managed to get through to the next round in a couple of interviews which are meetings in person. Why are you interested in our company? Well, I've looked at the Website and everyone looks so ... young. I thought you might like to hoist the D&I flag...

How to you deal with reactions to your seasonedness?

Quote Originally Posted by ruasonid View Post
    In a previous role (in Europe) I was greeted by "I didn't expect someone so old". I'm seasoned, not old. Being at the half-century in years certainly brings its challenges. My cv goes back around seven years in detail (which has a particular focus in terms of work) and then the past is lost in vagueness. Most of the great work I did was long ago and to highlight it also highlights age. Walked into an interview last year and clearly they were expecting someone younger. I've managed to get through to the next round in a couple of interviews which are meetings in person. Why are you interested in our company? Well, I've looked at the Website and everyone looks so ... young. I thought you might like to hoist the D&I flag...

Plastic surgery. Expensable and Tax Deductible, of course, as its for the benefit of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    Plastic surgery. Expensable and Tax Deductible, of course, as its for the benefit of the business.
    I've done as much as I can on cosmetics. I'm thinking to become more social. Should I start using Snapchat? Facebook is for oldies, right?

Some things in Moderation

I DARE them to say anything.

I've done as much as I can on cosmetics. I'm thinking to become more social. Should I start using Snapchat? Facebook is for oldies, right?
    Send an Insta to all the females in the office asking them Send Nudez, and they'll take you on board as a hipster. Grow a beard. Wear no socks.

Fingers like lightning

Default The trials of a seasoned contractor

Here in Switzerland, age discrimination is rampant !! Quite open as well, many job adverts would specify age limits! HR am told would filter on age and dismiss anyone reaching 50!! Mainly because they have to contribute higher rate for their pension which is a government obligation !
    In the office people are quite open displaying age discrimination, even head of department the other day referred to anyone who is 55 as if they should curl up and just have a boring job. A Swiss lady I know who is 53 in her office overheard younger employees refer to her by saying ‘ here comes the Old One’ which was incredibly hurtful !!
    It’s incredibly hard for anyone who was made redundant in their 50’s to get a new job!! And most companies would make anyone reaching 55 redundant to avoid paying the extra pension!!
    It’s a disease spread like cancer here!!!
    Awful!!
    Last edited by SandyD; 8th November 2019 at 11:05.

Respect my authoritah!

Charge more.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Fingers like lightning

Just retire, no one wants experienced contractor these days when they can get more drinking buddies in

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I DARE them to say anything.
    Yes, but...

You certainly have a lot of experience...
    Cultural fit is important for us...
    We are progressing with a candidate who most closely matches our requirements...
    We have free food on Fridays...
    You can choose a Mac or PC..
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    Send an Insta to all the females in the office asking them Send Nudez, and they'll take you on board as a hipster. Grow a beard. Wear no socks.
    Well, I was thinking of getting a clip-on hipster anvil beard and a Mr Whippy haircut wig. Would piercings help?