• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building a PSC from Scratch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negative: First get the work then while in the initial planning phase you can spend the effort getting the resource to deliver it.

Positive: On face value the approach would be IR35 safe in that each migration is a specific unique project and any additional resource can be managed accordingly, fitting in with well established best practices for remaining outside IR35 when delivering project work to end clients.

Negative: Unless you have a previously established network of still in play contacts who would be interested in your new all-in-one migration service, or have damn fine sales skills, you'll struggle to get the initial work and spend the most amount of time in the early days/months/years trying to get established. Worry about the rest of how to deliver the project when you have a contract ready to sign. Up to that it's all talk and theoretical plans. Each client will be different in their needs and requirements, even if the high level plan is much the same.

Positive: If you've got the chance to give it a go then may as well. Only costs time and money to see if you can make a success of it.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I am well aware there are large consultancies and small shops already doing this stuff. However, a friend of mine worked at Rackspace who employed a small 10 man co to handle one specific migration scenario a bunch of their customers had. They generated multiples of millions in revenue, just from that one client. And they were a startup. I know it's not quite NLUK money, but it must be getting close?!

I am also aware of how difficult setting up a business and establishing a sales pipeline that isn't just full of crap 1-2 day jobs is. Good clients are hard to come by and competition is fierce, which is why you absolutely have to have a niche or a vertical and stick to it. I am not a sales person but I have done technical presales in abundance. If you can identify requirements and solve them with simple, cost effective solutions, you'll usually come out on top.

The relationship would be between the end client and my company. Other contractors in the chain would have deliverables set by my co and not the end client. The end client would have absolutely no influence on the outcome unless someone rubbed them up the wrong way and they threatened to pull a project because someone upset them. So I fail to see how IR35 could possibly apply anywhere. I am asking a professional with a skillset to undertake a portion of a project, which is a one off piece of work, using their own equipment and experience, their own toolsets, etc. to a specification provided by me. If HMRC are now suggesting (and managing to persuade people in our contracting community) that the above looks like permanent employment then I am not sure I can stomach this industry anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Ahh the plan every contractor comes up with sometime in their career and never pulls it off.

This and the fact he is means it won't go any further. OP needs a business head on now and if he hasn't got that it won't even get past the fantasy stage. The work is pretty irrelevant at this stage. It's building a viable proposition, selling it and getting a contract. All that while burning money with no income.
        If that hasn't figured in to his plans by now it never will.

I have a 9 month war chest to work with before I start having to cut back on lifestyle choices to eek out a further 3 months left in the tank. I then have personal finance to fall back on outside of my ltd. Target a niche where a number of businesses have problems to solve. Identify your role within the model and your contribution and then find trustworthy partners to work with who can deliver the work you cannot. Package your proposition and find someone who can sell it (if you aren't that person).

Coming up with the excuse of "I can't sell it so I won't do it" is right up there with "I've this great idea for an app, but I don't know how to code" - you can pay for resources (not just with immediate financial remuneration) who can do that for you.

Right now this is in the discovery stage; i.e. checking my homework to make sure this sits above board and gets some contractors out of an IR35 hellhole, which I think it will, ensuring I have the pick of the market when it comes to talent.

I value your input NLUK but I have thought of these things and yes; it burns money, no it's not as good as being on £600/day outside IR35 initially, but the potential to grow it is far greater.

Comment

The IR35 fear here isn't anything to do with your relationship with the client, which sounds as though it would be a genuine B2B relationship. It's to do with how you take on the people who are going to be doing the work. But it sounds like you've thought about this too, and will be engaging people who will work for you in a way which would place them outside IR35. You'll probably be many times more motivated to ensure your staff are outside IR35 than the typical client, as you know it'll get you the cream of the crop in terms of staff. And as a contractor yourself you can make sure that your downstream contracts AND working practices mean your guys are genuinely self-employed. And in any case you'll be meeting the "small company" definition so it's not your problem anyway, at least the way the draft legislation stands right now.

If you think you've got a fighting chance of picking up enough client work to make this viable, by all means give it a go. You'll be running a real business, it'll be an absolute ton of work, but it'll be fantastic if you make it work. And if it doesn't work, you'll have learned a heap and in any case don't beat yourself up necessarily as even with the best laid plans, luck plays a significant part.

Good luck....

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post

A) Am I crazy?
            B) Will Hector still try and insert the Black Mamba into the rear door of everyone involved anyway?
            C) Is anyone else doing this aside from bigger outfits?
            D) Has anyone done this already?
            E) Is anyone interested in collaborating?
            A) No
            B) Will be hard if you stick to the rules.
            C) Yes
            D) Yes
            E) No thanks. I'm working with 2 already. One of which I contract the consultancy (4 people on the project).
            The other I contract direct to one of the consultants who in turns contracts us both to the end client. This should no way ever eb determined as inside, but if it did they'd lose their migration team instantly as well have other work on.

So yes the model works. It's great if you can do it. The challenges are client managenemt and commercials (a lot will want fixed price and you need to understand what that entails).
            Also finding the work. If you're serious then start looking now. Have you any idea where to start looking? If not then think again as this isn't for you.

For me I'd be very reluctant to head up soemthing like this. Seems like an awful lot of hassle for not that much reward. I'll happily work for people who are doing it though.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
            X