• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside Ir35 and pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside Ir35 and pensions

Has anybody on here had discussions with their agent (about to turn employer) and/or umbrella company about pensions when caught by Ir35?

The agents that have been talking to contractors at my place (who are all about to switch to PAYE from Jan) are all quoting that 3% of the contractors rate/pay will, by default, be paid into their company pension scheme. However, nobody seems to know whether the contractors can tell the agent that they don't want to pay this 3% (opt out if you like) and instead direct part of their money (up to £40k) into their own existing SIPP.

The pension route seems to be the only real benefit left for contractors under iR35 as the money can be directed towards a pension without paying any tax at all.

It will be criminal if this will not be allowed as it will a final kick in the rocks just as we are falling to the floor.

I have my initial meeting with agent tomorrow and I will discuss and get back to you.

I find it strange that this does seem to have mentioned in any detail in any posts on here as the way I see it, its the most important aspect of being caught and maximising the pay.
    Last edited by mogga71; 13 November 2019, 20:11.

I'm pretty sure (99%) that as an employee you do still have the right to opt out.

Any suggestion otherwise, to me, would result in me querying it, and suggesting that I'll be taking it to the financial ombudsman.

And no need to direct any money to your SIPP before PAYE. Just do it after and get the tax back.
    Last edited by Lance; 13 November 2019, 19:43.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I'm pretty sure (99%) that as an employee you do still have the right to opt out.

Any suggestion otherwise, to me, would result in me querying it, and suggesting that I'll be taking it to the financial ombudsman.

And no need to direct any money to your SIPP before PAYE. Just do it after and get the tax back.
      I don't think thats correct. The pension payment is made before any deductions at all ... including Employer NI.
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 14 December 2019, 20:42.

Comment

well, if you already know the answer, why ask the question?

ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          well, if you already know the answer, why ask the question?

ffs.
          What?

The questions above have not been answered have they? As has been said before, you are one annoying tool.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
            What?

The questions above have not been answered have they? As has been said before, you are one annoying tool.
            aye, - right

Comment

You need to find a brolly that will alow uncapped contributions to the pension. As far as I am aware there are only two.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=mogga71;2698245]I don't think thats correct. The pension payment is made before any deductions at all ... including Employer NI.

That is half correct. If it will work as for permanents you have two options salary sacrifice (the pension is deducted from gross salary before any taxes) and the other option (don't know how its called) where the pension is deducted after taxes and you get a refund of the income tax paid.

The salary sacrifice option is better as you (and the employer) can also save on NIC. I'm hoping that if I have to go PAYE under umbrella I will be able to put into my pension 50 or 60% of my gross salary by salary sacrifice so I stay below the higher tax income rate threshold. Take that HMRC...
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 14 December 2019, 20:42.
                "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You need to find a brolly that will alow uncapped contributions to the pension. As far as I am aware there are only two.
                  Errrrrr .... can I ask who those 2 are ..... please?

Comment

Contractor umbrella and Clarity Umbrella.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X