• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Right to work in EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to work in EU

Can anyone help with general advice?

I'm a UK citizen, French resident for TAX purposes, but I normally work through a UK limited company when I wor in the UK.

I now have an opportunity to work based in France or Italy that will require 50%+ travel to multiple EU countries.

Am I allowed to do this under current FoM rules?

Or, am I just taking on lots and lots of additional paperwork?

My accountant is having "heart-failure" at the prospect.

Thanks,

MJS

Yes, you can do this (until FoM is no longer applicable). Exactly how best to do is somewhat more problematic.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Can you get a French residence permit? In the UK EU citizens can have one, although it is not mandatory. As soon as you have that, FoM should continue for you after Brexit

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Can you get a French residence permit? In the UK EU citizens can have one, although it is not mandatory. As soon as you have that, FoM should continue for you after Brexit
        I'm pretty sure if he intend to stay more than 6 months in France he needs a residence permit!

As for FoM, last time I checked UK was still a full member of the EU, so for the time being this still applies fully.

Edit: sorry, European law states you must request a temporary residence permit if you intend to stay for more than 3 months (and not 6), and all EU countries (except UK, maybe Ireland) enforce that!

Apparently, for EU citizens they won't always call it residence permit, but a registration on local city council (but this is still mandatory)
        Last edited by CryingSheep; 14 November 2019, 16:34.
        "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by msjspub View Post
          Can anyone help with general advice?

I'm a UK citizen, French resident for TAX purposes, but I normally work through a UK limited company when I wor in the UK.

I now have an opportunity to work based in France or Italy that will require 50%+ travel to multiple EU countries.

Am I allowed to do this under current FoM rules?

Or, am I just taking on lots and lots of additional paperwork?

My accountant is having "heart-failure" at the prospect.

Thanks,

MJS
          It depends, you will probably be based at the client in either France or Italy and so you will have a tax liability there. If you are just making short visits to other countries this shouldn't be a problem, either they are classified business trips or your tax liability won't exceed the tax free allowances. Eg you spend 2 weeks somewhere don't worry about it. No tax authority will chase you if you haven't earned enough for it to be taxable.

Now there is an important distinction if the client who sends you to work in foreign countries is acting as an agent and charging the client directly for your service or whether you work on their project budget. If the client is acting as an agency then you would incur a tax liability in the country you work in, if not then you can work for up to 6 months without paying tax. Be careful this is a subtle distinction. In simple terms if your name appears in the invoice in the accounts of that company in the foreign country, then it is taxable and should be declared in that country.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Was your great-granny Irish? Look at getting an Irish passport and you’re sorted.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I worked through a UK limited company as a non French resident for 3 months .I paid so much social security in France that I wouldn't do it again.
              Try to find a solution where you are seconded to France and pay tax in UK.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
              X