• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tier 5 Visa - Difficulty of finding jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tier 5 Visa - Difficulty of finding jobs

Hi,

I am interested in the Tier 5 - Youth Mobility Scheme to move to the UK for IT Contracting starting in March 2020. I work in data analytics in Canada and understand that essentially you need to move to the UK before you can start realistically applying for roles, essentially meaning that I'll need to quit my job, move over, and start applying.

A few questions I had:
    1) How difficult it is to get a contract role in data analytics? I wouldn't want to be without employment for too long.
    2) How fast does the contract employment process move from job posting to offer? E.g. would I be able to fly over for an interview, get the job, put in my two weeks back in Canada, and then move over to start working?

Thanks,
    Joe

Visas notwithstanding, as I know naff all about those.

Yes, item 2 could work in a boyant market. Except the the market is struggling at the moment. Have you really done your research into what's going on in the UK? What makes you think you're going to be better off here than in Canada?

Comment

You might have to attend 10 interviews before being offered a contract (after applying for 500 roles) and some clients require you to attend multiple interviews and technical tests (all at your own expense- don’t be asking for flights and hotels) plus why hire a guy from Canada on a dodgy visa when they can get 10 local candidates that fit the requirements

Plus remember a client can terminate you at no notice and no pay

+ after starting you might not get paid for 8 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

if you're young, then why not turn up in London and start looking? If yo have a right to work via a visa, then there's no shortage of short term work whilst you find the one you want.
        You might end up working behind a bar for a few weeks but that leaves you most of the day to get settled and doing interviews.

There'll be a glut of IT contract work available at around that time due to the probable incoming legislation.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's not that simple and it might take longer than you think, even if you hold a tier 5 visa.

My guess is that, even if you get an offer, you probably are going to have to go through some form of background checks, right? Doesn't take long if you've lived in the uk for 5 continuous years, but it may take ages if you live/have lived abroad.

I remember one time when, after I got an offer, I was asked to go through some basic criminal record checks and since in the previous 5 years I had spent 6 months outside of the uk (in Canada, actually), I was asked to provide I didn't have any criminal record in Canada. OBVIOUSLY, everything would have had to be done via paper application form to the royal canadian mounted police, with attached fingerprints (cost for this alone was more than £150).

Enough to put me off so I declined the offer.

I hope I don't sound too negative, but I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Comment

Have a look at this forum as well: UK Tier 5 (Temporary Work) visas - Immigrationboards.com
            Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Working...
            X