Contractor to perm - how much money to expect (part timer) Contractor to perm - how much money to expect (part timer) - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21

    Fingers like lightning

    GhostofTarbera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ciaozio View Post
    I am on 650, and I asked for 110k, while their offer was 90k. Didn't go well for anyone.
    Life with no job is also no fun


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  2. #22

    Godlike

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    8,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Life with no job is also no fun


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    oh, i don't know ..................
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  3. #23

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairymouse View Post
    Also beware that you are obviously valued by your current client because they know you and that's why what they are offering is on the high side of the market. Once your CV is simply another unknown in a giant stack of CVs, those numbers are going to come crashing down pretty quick.
    That's not always true... in the permie world very often they offer worse salary for a current employee that goes for a promotion than to an external candidate applying for the same role! But I get your point and agree that that should be the case, but usually it isn't and that always made me a bit confused.
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  4. #24

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingSheep View Post
    in the permie world very often they offer worse salary for a current employee that goes for a promotion than to an external candidate applying for the same role!
    True that. When I was working in banking, in more than one organisation the salary increase for promotions were capped at 10%

    Job hopping has always been really high for this reason. Permie staff would move around more frequently than contractors

  5. #25

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    Im on £550 a day, and was offered just over £80k on a permie basis in the same role. I didnt want to do the same role due to the IR35 risk so went into the consulting side of the business. Got a package of £115k OTE - it all depends who you impress and know to get the gigs (sorry I mean career) that pay the most

    Even with this it still a significant drop in take home which means tightening our belts (first world problems)
    Wait a minute, are you saying that moving from £550 per day to £115k per year with all the other permie benefits is going to involve belt tightening? If so, I'm fooked when I take my dream £80k job.

  6. #26

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCTNN View Post
    True that. When I was working in banking, in more than one organisation the salary increase for promotions were capped at 10%

    Job hopping has always been really high for this reason. Permie staff would move around more frequently than contractors
    Exactly! On my permie times all the big jumps in salary were accomplished by moving to another employer.
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  7. #27

    Should post faster

    Stevie Wonder Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ContractorHardman View Post
    NLUK - I think you are bang on here. I reckon the next stage of contracting is going to be mostly Brolly. I do think there will still be a small percentage of Contractors out there running through Ltds however I fear they will be heavily targeted by HMRC.

    Back to the post, I did have a chance to go Perm in the summer. I had 4 offers from the same company. After reviewing the package closely, I just couldn't sign up because they didn't break the magic six figure mark. The were extremely close and reminded me that my yearly bonus would take me past it however the bonus wasn't guaranteed.

    At the end of the day, you are only worth what someone is willing to pay for you. It depends on the market and your skill set. The more rare you are along with how in demand you are depends on how much you are worth.

    "there will still be a small percentage of Contractors out there running through Ltds however I fear they will be heavily targeted by HMRC." This statement is entirely incorrect.

    The engager / client holds the responsibility for IR35 determination, not you and your Ltd.

  8. #28

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
    "there will still be a small percentage of Contractors out there running through Ltds however I fear they will be heavily targeted by HMRC." This statement is entirely incorrect.

    The engager / client holds the responsibility for IR35 determination, not you and your Ltd.
    Unless I have missed the obvious, I don't think he was talking about where the determination lies.

    Just that there Would be some people holding out to operate only through their Ltd Cos, determinations of course pending.

  9. #29

    More time posting than coding

    CryingSheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    Unless I have missed the obvious, I don't think he was talking about where the determination lies.

    Just that there Would be some people holding out to operate only through their Ltd Cos, determinations of course pending.
    And probably majority of the people left working with ltds the client will be too small to make determination and in that case I believe liability on (wrong) determination is still on the ltd.
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

  10. #30

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairymouse View Post
    Wait a minute, are you saying that moving from £550 per day to £115k per year with all the other permie benefits is going to involve belt tightening? If so, I'm fooked when I take my dream £80k job.
    Yup! My wife is a 49% shareholder in my company and has no other income so on outside gigs I can use her tax allowances. With a perm role I cant do that, pay more tax, cant claim expenses and lose our Child benefit (as I will earn over £50k), so we will be at least £!500 a month worse off!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •