• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Sites are miserable!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the date associated to when it was uploaded, together with an 'Available From <date>' line on the CV... Maybe.

Comment

Always upload, I've had calls from people in other cities that somehow had jobs in mine from companies that I've never heard of that ended up in decent gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Most of my roles are unadvertised, but I haven’t got the roles because I randomly uploaded my CV on a job site or agent site.
        It’s because I’ve spoken to agents and then sent in my CV.

Then what happens is I keep in touch with the key agents. They know my availability and will suggest roles to me when they come up. If you’ve just blindly uploaded a CV, how does the agent know whether you are available or not?
        I swear I'm not having a go at you, just curious because you seem to have a vastly different experience than me.

Anyway, I find that I never develop any relationship with agents, not even the ones that place me for contracts that last years. I just simply never hear from them again, I guess they are too busy moving money they made off of me from one vault to the other with a golden shovel. You'd think that after a 3.5 year contract is over they would be falling over themselves to find me another one.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
          I swear I'm not having a go at you, just curious because you seem to have a vastly different experience than me.

Anyway, I find that I never develop any relationship with agents, not even the ones that place me for contracts that last years. I just simply never hear from them again, I guess they are too busy moving money they made off of me from one vault to the other with a golden shovel. You'd think that after a 3.5 year contract is over they would be falling over themselves to find me another one.
          My experience is much the same as yours. No agent has ever kept in touch after a gig has ended, none has ever showed interest in maintaining much of a relationship during a contract either.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
            Normally, (which is not in this current market), whenever I re-upload, I would get a flood of calls suggesting that this approach does work. That said, a couple of months ago when I was last moving contracts, I uploaded and the silence was deafening.
            Same story here, actually I'm just about to upload a refreshed CV in the next few days, seriously hoping to get at least a few calls :/

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              That’s OK. My experience is that over the last 20 years, I have taken roles through < 10 agents.
              Of those, 1 I took to court for not paying up, so they don’t speak to me any more (their loss ). 2 got out of pimping.

Of the 5 gigs that came my way recently, 1 was direct, 1 was through an Indian agency, but I knew more about the role than they did and I knew to avoid it. The other 3 roles came from my pool of agents. In fact one role was suggested to me by a couple of them.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                My experience is much the same as yours. No agent has ever kept in touch after a gig has ended, none has ever showed interest in maintaining much of a relationship during a contract either.
                I had one agent keep me in work for 8 years. The last 7 years I have worked for 3 agencies. My previous one has just approached me about a forth coming role, so hopefully I will roll straight out of this one.

Comment

About the original question, I haven't heard anything back from any of the recruitment sites that I left my CV on. Granted it's only been 24 hours in a horrible market.

Comment

I'm new to contracting but won my first contract by talking to an agent and reeling off a list of people I know in my industry. He phoned around and in the space of an hour someone offered me a role without interview.

I don't know how easy it will be in future. The agent has been very helpful so far and is full of promise regarding roles beyond my initial 6 month contract.

I've also been actively approaching new companies to offer my services. One company said they were interested in establishing a long term direct relationship.

I guess I'm more in the WTFH camp on this one but if I hadn't uploaded my CV then the agent wouldn't have called me in the first place. Perhaps you get a honeymoon period when your new on the market.

I hope something comes up for you soon hairymouse.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      This(ish)

Find a role you're keen on through what ever platform you choose, find the agent on LinkedIn and approach them directly on there with the contact details usually shown, send your CV by email and then follow up with a phone call.
                      Exactly my approach. 9/10 the recruiters accept and are responsive when you message them in LinkedIn. Opens the door at least

Comment

Working...
                      X