• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pimp claiming client requirement for maximum commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    When I was at Rbs in London they preferred getting people from up north who had to stay all week as they did not need to commute home each day and could work longer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Well that's going to fall apart now none of those people can claim expenses.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Well that's going to fall apart now none of those people can claim expenses.
      Was a few years ago before Rbs got rid of 90% of its contractors

I once knew about 40 people in contract with RBS now I know none !!

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by BHicks View Post
        So had a new one today.

Applied for a contract position in London and get a call back from the agent. Virtually the first thing he asks is "Where do you live?".

When I queried the rationale for that he claimed that the client isn't prepared to look at anybody whose commute is over an hour which I found hilarious having previously lived in SE London and worked at Heathrow. Apparently the client location is a 20 minute walk from the nearest station although you will be surprised to hear that he refused to confirm who the client was.

Anybody else ever encountered this? Smells of bulltulip to me but feel free to comment...
        sounds like a role that will become inside in April so they'd rather not employ someone who'll leave mid-Feb.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yes, I've seen it at a Milton Keynes company where they required < 1 hour commute to site for call out.

I suggest companies like that take their choice from the wide selection of permies available within a 10 mile radious.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            sounds like a role that will become inside in April so they'd rather not employ someone who'll leave mid-Feb.

Eh??

Not seeing the correlation between commuting within London and whether a role is in or out? Maybe I should have told the pimp I ride a Motorbike so traffic? What traffic?

Comment

Eh??

Not seeing the correlation between commuting within London and whether a role is in or out? Maybe I should have told the pimp I ride a Motorbike so traffic? What traffic?
              Inside from April ---> no travel expenses claimable ---> large extra expense for the contractor ---> more likely to leave

Comment

I often hear the end client had a contractor but left because of the commute. To avoid having the same problem again they only want someone who lives close by.
                I usually just say I own a property close by, where I can stay.

Comment

I dont think its a new thing - my current client was a little apprehensive about my 120 mile daily commute because they'd had quite a few contractors quit over long journeys and the constant delays on the M6...

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                    I dont think its a new thing - my current client was a little apprehensive about my 120 mile daily commute because they'd had quite a few contractors quit over long journeys and the constant delays on the M6...
                    However in this case we're talking about a 16 mile trip from SE London to SW London.

Comment

However in this case we're talking about a 16 mile trip from SE London to SW London.
                      It's an excuse - agents will say anything to get people they don't want to shortlist off the phone.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X