• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pimp claiming client requirement for maximum commute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pimp claiming client requirement for maximum commute

So had a new one today.

Applied for a contract position in London and get a call back from the agent. Virtually the first thing he asks is "Where do you live?".

When I queried the rationale for that he claimed that the client isn't prepared to look at anybody whose commute is over an hour which I found hilarious having previously lived in SE London and worked at Heathrow. Apparently the client location is a 20 minute walk from the nearest station although you will be surprised to hear that he refused to confirm who the client was.

Anybody else ever encountered this? Smells of bulltulip to me but feel free to comment...

Originally posted by BHicks View Post
    So had a new one today.

Applied for a contract position in London and get a call back from the agent. Virtually the first thing he asks is "Where do you live?".

When I queried the rationale for that he claimed that the client isn't prepared to look at anybody whose commute is over an hour which I found hilarious having previously lived in SE London and worked at Heathrow. Apparently the client location is a 20 minute walk from the nearest station although you will be surprised to hear that he refused to confirm who the client was.

Anybody else ever encountered this? Smells of bulltulip to me but feel free to comment...
    Nope, not a new one (well, might be for London).

I came across this more than a couple of times in my last 5 years of contracting in the North. Clients wanted someone 'local' presumambly so they could chain them to the desk or not be able to say 'Im leaving now because Ive a near 2 hour commute to get home'!

Im surprised it hasnt become more prevalent since I retired to be honest.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Maybe there is an on-call element that involves attending the site?

Comment

I got a contract once because I lived locally (1 hour) whereas the 'other' candidate came from 150+ miles away.

Contractors are often precious petals that need special treatment on Mondays and Fridays etc. Mind you big consultancies can be a pain with their people as well.
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Yep. I've been turned down for at least two gigs because I would have had to stay over and they wanted someone in commuting distance.

My bet is they've been burned before with these idiots that take a gig and then turn up in the first week demanding WFH, don't get it and then leave.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            I got a contract once because I lived locally (1 hour) whereas the 'other' candidate came from 150+ miles away.

Contractors are often precious petals that need special treatment on Mondays and Fridays etc. Mind you big consultancies can be a pain with their people as well.
            The irony being clients probably get far more out of me Tuesday - Thursday because I don't really mind staying late.

I've personally never had this directly, and I deliberately don't put my address on my CV, but I can definitely imagine it.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              Maybe there is an on-call element that involves attending the site?
              I did ask that and apparently no on call element.

I did also suggest that the job posting should mention that "requirement" upfront given that it's of such importance (tongue firmly in cheek here).

Comment

Could it have to do with the impending month long train strike?

Comment

I've had my suspicions that's why I've not gotten interviews in the past, so definitely not new (as others confirm)

Just another item clients/agents may have on their list in order to prioritise candidates.

Comment

When I was at Rbs in London they preferred getting people from up north who had to stay all week as they did not need to commute home each day and could work longer

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X