• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cutthroat Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    Some permies have a lot of time on their hands. I've seen this in problem in particular with the home counties set. They might be scheming at dinner parties.
    Yeah particularly prevalent around this way. Honour in short supply around here. Friends of friends a big play

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      It's not limited to contractors. There are toxic people that instead of trying to deliver more, are focused on trying to point out everyone else's fault, to make themselves look good.

Fortunately one of the best aspects of being a contractor, is that you can just walk and not put up with their tulip.
      Yes, but shouldn't be forced to do that especially if you're delivering

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Friend of mine has worked in places where their every action was challenged and undermined by a cabal of other contractors (mates of the MD or some such, onto a good thing, their work was being shown up as a sham...). It's not just permies who get all uppity by the presence of competent people.
        Pretty much exactly the same as one of the situations I saw. Contractors all worked with the Head of IT in a previous company and weren't afraid of letting everyone know. All very chummy. And this poor guy on the outside wasn't part of it so off he went.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          When I was the hiring manager, I ensured that the contractors bought the first few rounds when we went to the pub. It seemed to bring the permies on side.
          Now that's only fair )

Comment

I had high hopes that this thread was about a new Agency that had been formed

#Disappointed

As others have said, this happens in every walk of life, and not restricted to contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              I had high hopes that this thread was about a new Agency that had been formed

#Disappointed

As others have said, this happens in every walk of life, and not restricted to contractors.
              haha... pretty decent agency name now that I come to think of it!
              Yeah you're right. Guess seems more pronounced in contracting life because of the ease of which people can be removed

Comment

Permiedom redundancy was the worse.

Smallish IT company. Called me in to speak to HR and a senior manager. Told me there'd been complaints about me from customers. Some story, from one of the many unhappy customers. I'd only ever been there once to help a colleague out.

All became clear when they said, right you're being suspended, or...... you can sign a compromise agreement and get a bit of a payout and leave quietly.

Turns out 3 other people on the same day had complaints about them. Mass stitch up.

I had little choice - only been there 15 months - so took the money (about two months pay). Apparently, the company wanted to cut costs and couldn't be bothered to do redundancies properly so took this route. I was quite pleased mind when they went bust and director (who had a Bentley) got investigated for fiddling welsh government grants.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

It's one of the few things I don't miss now I'm a permie.

Being at a whim of someone's bit of politics was crap - banks can be a cracking place for it. I've seen a contractor recently trying to be the big "I am" but showing himself up because he regards himself as an architect when the reality is that he's an egotistical business analyst, creating more Excel wireframes than any sane person could cope with.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I have suffered far less from politics and bulltulip as a contractor than as a perm. My last perm role my mental health suffered quiet badly from politics and bullying. I have been more protected from it as a contractor - mostly the client and people around me are only interested in where my project delivery is up to, which suits me just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                      I have suffered far less from politics and bulltulip as a contractor than as a perm. My last perm role my mental health suffered quiet badly from politics and bullying. I have been more protected from it as a contractor - mostly the client and people around me are only interested in where my project delivery is up to, which suits me just fine.
                      Me too - I came back to contracting after getting managed out of a permie role by a couple of people who I regard as borderline psychopaths. So glad I don't have any of that crap any more - although I do miss the way my life was before they turned up.

Comment

Working...
                      X