• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cutthroat Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    after getting managed out of a permie role by a couple of people who I regard as borderline psychopaths. So glad I don't have any of that crap any more - although I do miss the way my life was before they turned up.
    Sounds exactly like role I left a few days ago as I knew I had something better lined up so the money & hassle from working closely with psychos no longer appealed to me!!

Comment

Difficult to generalise. Most IT departments are not well run. Typically the business is trying to move faster than the technology will allow and shortcuts and bad practise is rife.

My experience with contract is it tends to be 'undiserable' companies to work for that hire contractors. not always but often.

Rarely its a green field project -usually its; projects late, over budget, client not happy. Time for the contractor.

Perm salaries have been flat for a decade maybe resentment against contractors is increasing.

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
        Difficult to generalise. Most IT departments are not well run. Typically the business is trying to move faster than the technology will allow and shortcuts and bad practise is rife.

My experience with contract is it tends to be 'undiserable' companies to work for that hire contractors. not always but often.

Rarely its a green field project -usually its; projects late, over budget, client not happy. Time for the contractor.

Perm salaries have been flat for a decade maybe resentment against contractors is increasing.
        As in, IT are reluctant to upgrade? Hardly a contract thing, more a culture thing varying from place to place and their individual organisational risk policy.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          As in, IT are reluctant to upgrade? Hardly a contract thing, more a culture thing varying from place to place and their individual organisational risk policy.
          and the drag of their legacy systems, maybe?
          and, for banks, 24x7 availability.

Comment

Much of it is jealousy. I mean how dare you have the balls/skills to open up a limited company and sell yourself.

I have said in the past, "it isn't a closed shop, you can do this yourself if you really want to."

Last gig had a contractor giving it the "big I am" in the kitchen about an Oracle to SQL Server migration and how he was such an expect and he'd smashed loads of them in.

I thought great cos we are really struggling, so I asked the MD if we could borrow him for an hour, thinking he would fix it, or at least help. Sat him down, after 10 mins his face going redder, muttered something about older versions then buggered off. Didn't last much longer after that.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Much of it is jealousy. I mean how dare you have the balls/skills to open up a limited company and sell yourself.

I have said in the past, "it isn't a closed shop, you can do this yourself if you really want to."

Last gig had a contractor giving it the "big I am" in the kitchen about an Oracle to SQL Server migration and how he was such an expect and he'd smashed loads of them in.

I thought great cos we are really struggling, so I asked the MD if we could borrow him for an hour, thinking he would fix it, or at least help. Sat him down, after 10 mins his face going redder, muttered something about older versions then buggered off. Didn't last much longer after that.

qh
              Never had need for a migration expect myself....

Cool story tho bro'
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
              X