• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cutthroat Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutthroat Contracting

Wanted to get your thoughts on some things I've seen recently in contracting life.
    Noticed a lot of good contractors getting screwed over by politics - generally the best performing ones, speaking truth to power(Permies) and also other contractor cliques getting them moved out.

One guy I knew was the best PM I'd come across and was fully supported by the program team in the US but one guy in the UK didn't like him and spent 3 months getting him out then using permies to fake grievances against him despite US teams protesting until the last second. Saw this before at another place where one guy was the only one delivering and embarrassing others in the team so they all made a play to get him out.

Have others come across this? Half makes me want to not deliver things if that's what happens. Pretty disgusting out there what I've seen lately.

Originally posted by Surrey Contractor View Post
    Wanted to get your thoughts on some things I've seen recently in contracting life.
    Noticed a lot of good contractors getting screwed over by politics - generally the best performing ones, speaking truth to power(Permies) and also other contractor cliques getting them moved out.

One guy I knew was the best PM I'd come across and was fully supported by the program team in the US but one guy in the UK didn't like him and spent 3 months getting him out then using permies to fake grievances against him despite US teams protesting until the last second. Saw this before at another place where one guy was the only one delivering and embarrassing others in the team so they all made a play to get him out.

Have others come across this? Half makes me want to not deliver things if that's what happens. Pretty disgusting out there what I've seen lately.
    Some permies have a lot of time on their hands. I've seen this in problem in particular with the home counties set. They might be scheming at dinner parties.

Comment

Contractors have bigger problems than this at the moment
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's not limited to contractors. There are toxic people that instead of trying to deliver more, are focused on trying to point out everyone else's fault, to make themselves look good.

Fortunately one of the best aspects of being a contractor, is that you can just walk and not put up with their tulip.

Comment

Humans are the worst.

Comment

Had and seen my fair share of this in perimedom and contract. Thing is that I mostly just laugh. If some fool wants to go on a power trip they are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Friend of mine has worked in places where their every action was challenged and undermined by a cabal of other contractors (mates of the MD or some such, onto a good thing, their work was being shown up as a sham...). It's not just permies who get all uppity by the presence of competent people.

Comment

Happens in all circles of life and especially in workplaces for permies.

Comment

Happens all the time. Good friend of mine recently got canned from a project to be replaced by a cheaper resource from India who struggled with basic English! The PM is a total m0r0n who does not like competent UK born contractors much...

Comment

When I was the hiring manager, I ensured that the contractors bought the first few rounds when we went to the pub. It seemed to bring the permies on side.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X