• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
    I disagree.

Although Perm is safer, there are still inside gigs going for £550 / day in Project Management and £400. I agree that there's a general contraction in the market but folding under this pressure and automatically defaulting people into a Perm role is not the kind of advice that should be given on this forum.

Advice from me would be to find an outside IR35 one at a rate of £350-400 which are becoming increasingly prevalent as companies realise that flexibility in workforce is required but don't want the risk of keeping people outside.
    You are dreaming

These roles have 600 applicants per agent X 5 agents per role

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I disagree.

Although Perm is safer, there are still inside gigs going for £550 / day in Project Management and £400. I agree that there's a general contraction in the market but folding under this pressure and automatically defaulting people into a Perm role is not the kind of advice that should be given on this forum.

Advice from me would be to find an outside IR35 one at a rate of £350-400 which are becoming increasingly prevalent as companies realise that flexibility in workforce is required but don't want the risk of keeping people outside.
      I would assume the exact opposite of what this person says.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        I would assume the exact opposite of what this person says.
        I see what you did there.

Comment

I see what you did there.

Comment

I would say go for it if contracting is what you want. Just know that right now is seriously uncertain times with IR35, Brexit and the seasonal freeze that slows down perm as well as contract recruitment until the early parts of the new year.

It’s great that you currently have a perm role so you aren’t desperate and can make whatever excuses you need to leave once you find your first contract.

In response to some of the above saying don’t do it, don’t listen to them. Why would an “experienced” contractor be any better at a role than a permie with 10 years experience? I’m sure everyone has worked alongside a tulip contractor just as much as you see tulipty permies. You just need to market yourself well and you’ll get there.

Regarding rates have a look on the job sites and itjobswatch.co.uk to see what the going rate is.

As you are concerned about rate why would you be looking at PSO gigs which pay less especially when you’ve been a PM for 10 years?

Comment

phynbarr I'm about to switch from permie to contracting for the first time so I'm a dissenting voice on this thread and as an inexperienced contractor I could get the wrath of the long timers.

However, it might be worth reading my list of reasons for taking the plunge to see if any apply to your situation:

1) I got a big settlement from my job just gone in October. It equated to over a year's salary. I trimmed it with a pension AVC for tax efficient purposes but I've still got a permie salary in the bag until next October. My financial position is therefore low risk.
              2) I have a long term health condition that I can largely manage without taking any time off but I would find the spells sat on the bench quite useful (for example I'm having a break at the moment and enjoying spending time with the kids).
              3) As you can see from 2) money is not my primary motivation.
              4) My contract rate for a 6 month contract is going to be double my permie salary.
              5) My client is in a part of the country where they struggle to get skilled staff. They are parachuting me in to resolve issues that I raised against them when working for an independent company. It's bespoke consultancy and if they declare my inside IR35 then they could be a bit stuffed because I'm niche.
              6) I'm trying to build a relationship with another company that declares everyone outside IR35. They are a medium sized company so they're rates are £5-10 ph lower than big companies but they are interested in contracting me directly, which should more than make up for the difference. The company are also based on my doorstep.
              7) If I do get declared inside then I can afford to wrap up a ltd company after a short period of time and I'm willing to take on the extra hassle.
              8) I want to be a contractor so I can take part in this forum and I think everyone loves me on here already, particularly the moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
                phynbarr I'm about to switch from permie to contracting for the first time so I'm a dissenting voice on this thread and as an inexperienced contractor I could get the wrath of the long timers.

However, it might be worth reading my list of reasons for taking the plunge to see if any apply to your situation:

1) I got a big settlement from my job just gone in October. It equated to over a year's salary. I trimmed it with a pension AVC for tax efficient purposes but I've still got a permie salary in the bag until next October. My financial position is therefore low risk.
                2) I have a long term health condition that I can largely manage without taking any time off but I would find the spells sat on the bench quite useful (for example I'm having a break at the moment and enjoying spending time with the kids).
                3) As you can see from 2) money is not my primary motivation.
                4) My contract rate for a 6 month contract is going to be double my permie salary.
                5) My client is in a part of the country where they struggle to get skilled staff. They are parachuting me in to resolve issues that I raised against them when working for an independent company. It's bespoke consultancy and if they declare my inside IR35 then they could be a bit stuffed because I'm niche.
                6) I'm trying to build a relationship with another company that declares everyone outside IR35. They are a medium sized company so they're rates are £5-10 ph lower than big companies but they are interested in contracting me directly, which should more than make up for the difference. The company are also based on my doorstep.
                7) If I do get declared inside then I can afford to wrap up a ltd company after a short period of time and I'm willing to take on the extra hassle.
                8) I want to be a contractor so I can take part in this forum and I think everyone loves me on here already, particularly the moderators.
                If you get canned after a few weeks you will be fine then

Hopefully enough clients in your area to fill the void

How did you get this role ?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  If you get canned after a few weeks you will be fine then

Hopefully enough clients in your area to fill the void

How did you get this role ?
                  Getting canned is low risk because I'm consulting for an old friend... he knows about the disability (and the fact I'm reliable).

It wasn't an advertised role, I spoke to an agent because I knew the client might be interested and the agent made a few phone calls. I didn't even need an interview. This was just over a week after I finished my permie job and I even had the luxury of dictating to them when I would be willing to start. The only thing I slipped up on was I think in hindsight I could have negotiated a better rate although their offering is consistent with the market rate for a generic EC&I engineer, which is okay for a starter.

I'm under no illusions that it will be this easy in future but it's nice to have a bit of luck for a change because my permie role turned into a right tulip storm.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
                    Getting canned is low risk because I'm consulting for an old friend... he knows about the disability (and the fact I'm reliable).

It wasn't an advertised role, I spoke to an agent because I knew the client might be interested and the agent made a few phone calls. I didn't even need an interview. This was just over a week after I finished my permie job and I even had the luxury of dictating to them when I would be willing to start. The only thing I slipped up on was I think in hindsight I could have negotiated a better rate although their offering is consistent with the market rate for a generic EC&I engineer, which is okay for a starter.

I'm under no illusions that it will be this easy in future but it's nice to have a bit of luck for a change because my permie role turned into a right tulip storm.
                    Getting a contract via an old friend is totally different than competing in the open market with seasoned contractors, I’ve had the same myself

Comment

Agree. The way I look at it a 6 month contract effectively buys me another 12 months of permie salary and I need to keep a good buffer. I also have substantial savings and benefits to fall back onto but that wouldn't be ideal.

One of the big things I missed off my list is that contracting gives me a good excuse to have gaps in my CV.

My permie job was terminated by mutual consent within two weeks but that's the price you have to pay when taking a settlement. I had a couple of permie job interviews early November where the interviewers were clearly raising their eyebrows about the gap and I don't like having to lie about it.

Comment

Working...
                      X