• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it wasn't for friends I wouldn't have had half as many long term gigs. Using your network to find work is not cheating

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
      8) I want to be a contractor so I can take part in this forum
      This forum is actually for ex-contractors. However you're making the first important step.
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        This forum is actually for ex-contractors. However you're making the first important step.
        Speak for yourself, quitter

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Speak for yourself, quitter
          So you're still contracting?

Not for long...
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            Ex-contractor here, sitting the great storm of 2019/2020 out but happy to set sail again should the waters calm.

In my own opinion the only only thing standing between many contractors and multi month long layoffs is blind luck.

I know of several happily sat in 2-3 year long contracts, permiecontractors who have no clue how bad it is out there.

If you are in a niche market with plenty of insider contacts it still might be worth a punt but anything other than that and chucking in a well paying permie job for contracting is an act of insanity.

I remember 9/11 and 2008 and they were mere blips compared to this.

Comment

The other issue with project management is that more and more companies are going with agile methodologies and you need to be a proven scrum master or product owner rather than a project manager these days.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
                Don't run towards the fire.
                Thank you. Very comprehensive. And helpful

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                    As you are concerned about rate why would you be looking at PSO gigs which pay less especially when you’ve been a PM for 10 years?
                    There's a lot of competition out there and I thought PSO might be easier to break into

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X