• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aviva

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post
    They've certainly canned everyone at HO. An email went round with words to that effect. Either way, it illustrates a worrying trend that I predict will get worse; especially once you throw IR35 and Brexit into the mix.
    These things always work the same way.

Dear All Contractors,

All contractors are being removed from the organisation* Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

Kind regards,

The Management

* Except those where we'd be shafted if they left as we can't find someone else
    The footnote is not always included.

Everyone (likes to) think they are indispensable and that all other contractors are easily replaced, but there are very few roles which are not fillable elsewhere.
    Last edited by Paralytic; 4 December 2019, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      These things always work the same way.

The footnote is not always included.

Everyone (likes to) think they are indispensable and that all other contractors are easily replaced, but there are very few roles which are not fillable elsewhere.
      If a company is dependent on a contractor (or anyone if being honest) that company has a problem that needs to be fixed.

On the other hand I've never seen a problem where TCS or WiPro was the answer.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        If a company is dependent on a contractor (or anyone if being honest) that company has a problem that needs to be fixed.
        Many companies are dependent on contractors and individual staff members. And, if they leave, the fix is typically to bring in (another) contractor!

Originally posted by eek View Post
        On the other hand I've never seen a problem where TCS or WiPro was the answer.
        I've seen plenty cases where TCS/WiPro WAS the answer; it just needed the question reworded...

But, I've actually sub-contracted via TCS before, so they're not all bad

Comment

The closer you are to the problem, the more you'll appreciate the time and quality of the fix provided.

A project sponsor within a client will note the high degree of attention to time and quality, the business group (senior client members) making policy decisions will just see the services delivered. Project sponsor cannot claim anyone is indispensable, but they can and will grumble about the lesser attention to time and quality that will be provided by moving away from PSC and onto TCS, permie, PAYE umbrella etc.

Ultimately the client internally will just keep shifting the blame around for a generally poorer service in the new world. But life will continue.

Comment

TCS - Oh my days

Everything they touch turns to disaster , delays , canned projects , chaos

Muppets

Comment

One question about TCS, Wipro and the likes...

From reading all your experiences, it sounds like they've been making a huge mess everywhere they go and they've been doing it for years and years and years.

If they're so consistently bad, why do companies still engage them? I can understand using them 2 even 3 times because they're cheap and because the senior managers/decision makers don't have a clue of how bad they are/haven't learned the lesson, but why do companies STILL use them after 10-15 years of constant feck ups?

There must be a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                One question about TCS, Wipro and the likes...

From reading all your experiences, it sounds like they've been making a huge mess everywhere they go and they've been doing it for years and years and years.

If they're so consistently bad, why do companies still engage them? I can understand using them 2 even 3 times because they're cheap and because the senior managers/decision makers don't have a clue of how bad they are/haven't learned the lesson, but why do companies STILL use them after 10-15 years of constant feck ups?

There must be a reason.
                They’re cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  They’re cheap.
                  Agreed - finance beancounters prefer fixed predictable low costs over stuff actually getting done or being of any use.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Agreed - finance beancounters prefer fixed predictable low costs over stuff actually getting done or being of any use.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

I guess if hiring TCS (cheap sh1te) and then hiring contractors to fix the mess is still less expensive than hiring the right contractors (but more expensive) from the start, fair play to the finance beancounters. Would do the same myself.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

There must be a reason.
                      They are usually engaged by Enterprise organisations that are stacked full of people very scared of making big decisions, they don't have the skillset to move larger projects forward and don't have the budget to pay market rate for non 3rd world workers.

A lot of these companies are also based in spots where no-one in their right mind would want to commute to as a permie.

Comment

Working...
                      X