• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Margins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    anyone with hays ?
    they are skimming off 18% from my day rate
    Wow. I wish most agencies were as low as that. I did have one try to argue that a higher rate justified a higher % margin. Nice try. Anyway, with me Hays currently take 6% of what they charge their client. If your rate is high enough, the margin in absolute terms can be quite big too.

(OK, I approached them, already having the contract).
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

anyone with hays ?
      No they aren't. You are getting a cut of their day rate.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

anyone with hays ?
        Are they skimming you or the client ?

If you had negotiated directly with the client they would have given you the rate you asked for and you would be happy. The fact that an agency paid the rate you asked for and is charging the client more means they are skimming the client, because if you'd have gone direct the client would be paying less and you wouldn't earn anymore.

It's up to the contractor to pitch his rate, the agency will try and get the highest margin possible.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Are they skimming you or the client ?

If you had negotiated directly with the client they would have given you the rate you asked for and you would be happy. The fact that an agency paid the rate you asked for and is charging the client more means they are skimming the client, because if you'd have gone direct the client would be paying less and you wouldn't earn anymore.

It's up to the contractor to pitch his rate, the agency will try and get the highest margin possible.
          in which world ? Most large companies in the UK have PSL agencies and will not allow you to go direct.

Comment

My agency gets 30%

The current contract is coming to an end, but another department wants to offer me another one after in the new year. I don't know if I can switch agencies at that point. I think they have some type of anti poaching clause, but I've had enough of them.

Comment

Working...
            X