• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Margins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Margins

Recently had interview for role, went well, sounds good.
    We discussed rates, & it transpires agency margin is £100+/day which I think is unreasonable.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by SteelyDan; 5 December 2019, 11:37.
    Clarity is everything

So long as you end up with what you are happy with why worry about any other parties.

If your agency gets £100 each day but you also end up with what you wanted then everyone wins. Looking at the agency thinking "...but that's not fair. I could've got more!" isn't the right way of thinking.

You charge £X per day. If someone is happy to pay that then everything else shouldn't matter (it's their business).

Comment

Current gig the agent gets 150 . Accepted norm is 14-15% though I believe.

Comment

So negotiate - or don't take the gig.

Don't forget, they don't take a cut of your income. You get a cut of theirs.
        You need to secure the rate you want, and generally speaking their margin is irrelevant: 100 a day is quite a lot if you get £250 a day, but not all that much if you get £1000...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

All good & reasonable points, thanks. Normally it's been £50 margin but this £100+ seems a bit OTT.
          Yes Mal, next step is negotiating with agent to see if I can push it more in my favour.
          Not really the climate to be not taking opportunities I know. One of those times when I wish I hadn't asked, I think; sometimes it's best not to know these things.
          Clarity is everything

Comment

you should be happy agency went with you rather than the guy that can do the same job for 50 quid cheaper

Comment

That's nothing. In one of my previous roles, I realised the agency was getting £350/day. Though I was fine with my rate but.....damn!

Comment

Most IBs are on a fixed percentage structure based on length of stay - 1st year c10%, reducing to 5% by the end of 20 months for example. They manage to make a lot of money on a volume basis.

Up to the client to cap it so they're not paying £600pd for a £300pd contractor as has happened in the past.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  Recently had interview for role, went well, sounds good.
                  We discussed rates, & it transpires agency margin is £100+/day which I think is unreasonable.
                  Thoughts?
                  It's capitalism at its finest.

You can refine it still further through negotiation.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    It's capitalism at its finest.

You can refine it still further through negotiation.
                    WIP...
                    Clarity is everything

Comment

Working...
                    X