• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Medicals

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Not all companies who have a presence on site at sellafield require full medical disclosure. On that basis I’d presume that it’s not a site requirement rather it’s an organisational requirement.
    It’s all public sector though so they don’t really understand the difference between staff and contractors.
    So IR35 is almost certainly not an issue for the OP.
    It’s also just a health and safety thing.

Assuming that eek and I are correct just complete the forms and don’t fret too much.
    Worry more about the surrounding area being a massive tuliphole. Get some digs in the Lake District, accept the toilet that is the Cumbrian coast, or plan on an awful commute.
    It could be worse as there are worse places, it could be Barrow...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks Eek, it's not Sellafield but you make a valid point. I see there's a lot of Sellafield jobs on the boards recently that are explicitly inside IR35. That casts a little doubt on my ltd model but there are plenty of other opportunities to work for them indirectly through the second tier.

Comment

I don't think its unreasonable or all that unusual in certain fields. I would be double checking with my IR35 insurance people but doubt they would take issue with it.

Its a personal decision for you to make if you want to do it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          It could be worse as there are worse places, it could be Barrow...
          I think the "toilethole of the Cumbrian coast" does not exclude Barrow IMO
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
            Thanks Eek, it's not Sellafield but you make a valid point. I see there's a lot of Sellafield jobs on the boards recently that are explicitly inside IR35. That casts a little doubt on my ltd model but there are plenty of other opportunities to work for them indirectly through the second tier.
            The problem with Sellafield is that if you're inside IR35, expenses become prohibitive for many that would normally consider it.
            £450-500/day outside IR35 at Sellafield would make it worth my while with a 2.5 hour journey each way (I'd stay over the four nights), but with no expenses, that's a hell of a bottom line change.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Another dull story about rules that apply to people in the "office" as well as those at other locations:
              I've done some work for clients in the construction industry. On their sites, they insist that all powered vehicles are reverse parked. The main reason is that for lorries it is essential safety to reverse park cause the driver can then see clearly when they are pulling out.
              Apply the rule to everyone on every site, even those where there are no lorries and you have a corporate safety policy. It's nothing to do with IR35, trying to exclude people, etc. It's their safety policy.

We don't have all the facts from the OP as to who the client is, but we're aware it's in the nuclear industry and requires security clearance. It is possible that the client has policies in place across all sites. We don't know.
              The OP is a contractor. If they do not want to agree to a client request then they need to look for another role. They are not an employee.
              They do not have "rights".
              They are a business wanting to supply services to clients.
              The client is not rejecting them. The client has made requests, and if the OP decides to reject those requests, then the OP has decided to rule themselves out of working for that client.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Another dull story about rules that apply to people in the "office" as well as those at other locations:
                I've done some work for clients in the construction industry. On their sites, they insist that all powered vehicles are reverse parked. The main reason is that for lorries it is essential safety to reverse park cause the driver can then see clearly when they are pulling out.
                Apply the rule to everyone on every site, even those where there are no lorries and you have a corporate safety policy. It's nothing to do with IR35, trying to exclude people, etc. It's their safety policy.

We don't have all the facts from the OP as to who the client is, but we're aware it's in the nuclear industry and requires security clearance. It is possible that the client has policies in place across all sites. We don't know.
                The OP is a contractor. If they do not want to agree to a client request then they need to look for another role. They are not an employee.
                They do not have "rights".
                They are a business wanting to supply services to clients.
                The client is not rejecting them. The client has made requests, and if the OP decides to reject those requests, then the OP has decided to rule themselves out of working for that client.
                Reverse parking is the same in petro-chemical companies for a slightly different reason

When you want people offsite - you want them offsite as quickly as humanly possible - reversing adds time you may not have.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  When you want people offsite - you want them offsite as quickly as humanly possible - reversing adds time you may not have.

I reckon an explosion would move them quite quickly off site. Possibly upwards, rather than along the ground.

But yes, your point (and mine) are possibly very valid to the OP. For safety reasons businesses put rules in place. If other businesses think the rules must not be applied to them, then that is their choice.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    I reckon an explosion would move them quite quickly off site. Possibly upwards, rather than along the ground.

But yes, your point (and mine) are possibly very valid to the OP. For safety reasons businesses put rules in place. If other businesses think the rules must not be applied to them, then that is their choice.
                    a safety briefing I once had for a site, said that in the event of a fire alarm (sound of fire alarm played so you know) then walk to a safe zone.

In the event of this alarm (different noise) RUN!!!!!
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      a safety briefing I once had for a site, said that in the event of a fire alarm (sound of fire alarm played so you know) then walk to a safe zone.

In the event of this alarm (different noise) RUN!!!!!
                      I was sat in a ground floor office listening to one lad asking the boss about fire drills.
                      "What if the fire is stopping us exiting our office?"
                      "Then feel free to follow my desk and I through this window" came the exasperated reply.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X