• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

leaving a contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaving a contract early

My contract ends at the end of the month and I recently signed a 6 month extension a few weeks back extending it until June next year.

I have since decided that I will move country in April next year so I will only work 3 extra months. I am wondering should I tell this now or wait until beginning of Feb, so that I would give about 2 months notice (In my contract it is 4 weeks notice)

Also to note I have been here 9 months so far and would start on a new team in January.

Is leaving a contract early a very bad sign, for future work with the same client? Or if I explain it well it would be fine?

Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
    My contract ends at the end of the month and I recently signed a 6 month extension a few weeks back extending it until June next year.

I have since decided that I will move country in April next year so I will only work 3 extra months. I am wondering should I tell this now or wait until beginning of Feb, so that I would give about 2 months notice (In my contract it is 4 weeks notice)

Also to note I have been here 9 months so far and would start on a new team in January.

Is leaving a contract early a very bad sign, for future work with the same client? Or if I explain it well it would be fine?

If you wanted to manage the relationship with the company and you don't need the work I would tell them now...

If none of this applies, why would you care, maximize your income, hand in the notice in Feb and wish them well....

Comment

"Moving country" is a fairly big decision, I'm a bit surprised you signed an extension if you were already considering moving half way through (unless there are other factors involved)
      If you're hoping to work for that client again, then the sooner you tell them the better. From their point of view that gives them a chance to resource up the next project, and they will see that you have some integrity.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What is the Ir35 situation around your renewal?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jf2010 View Post

What are you not telling us???

This makes no sense. If you’re leaving the country so cannot work for them why do you care?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            What are you not telling us???

This makes no sense. If you’re leaving the country so cannot work for them why do you care?
            +1

If you're leaving and your legal notice period is 4 weeks, give them the notice when the time is right. You generally don't need to give a reason. If you want to, lie to the agency like they lie to you and just say that your mum's ill and you need extended time off to leave the country and care for her.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It is outside UK so no IR35 in this case

Yeah that's true I'll be leaving the country but just want to keep it good on the off-chance of working there again. But it is a good point, I think I'll just work up to my notice period and let them know then.

Thanks for the pointers!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                If you wanted to manage the relationship with the company and you don't need the work I would tell them now...

If none of this applies, why would you care, maximize your income, hand in the notice in Feb and wish them well....
                Feb it is then. The OP could always advise that they have two weeks' holiday booked in March and then give four weeks' notice before it starts.

Comment

Why wouldn't you first try to negotiate to complete the contact remotely from your new country?

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                    Why wouldn't you first try to negotiate to complete the contact remotely from your new country?
                    Good idea, but already tried requesting remote on a couple of occasions and it didn't fly (for anything more than a day)

Comment

Working...
                    X