• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PwC's newest cash cow - IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
    I genuinely had my urine tested for cocaine yesterday ahead of my forthcoming contracting job and they asked for the name of my line manager.
    Oil Company by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
      Oil Company by any chance?
      Or an American co. perhaps? Never heard of anyone doing this.

Comment

Interesting to see which contractors are panicking over a cocaine test. No, it's nuclear industry.

As for PwC, my tests results list the agent as my line manager. I'm not sure if the client would agree though and that's a concern I need to address.

Is it worth asking how PwC will make their decisions and whether you can have any visibility of the process they're following?

Comment

Interesting to see which contractors are panicking over a cocaine test. No, it's nuclear industry.

As for PwC, my tests results list the agent as my line manager. I'm not sure if the client would agree though and that's a concern I need to address.

Is it worth asking how PwC will make their decisions and whether you can have any visibility of the process they're following?
          Don't think anybody is panicking over a drug test. I understand the need for it in some industries but otherwise there is no need for a client to be interested in one's recreational activities.

Comment

The law is that you can ask for an explanation of the determination that has been made and that determination should be one that is specific to your engagement. PwC should at least be aware of that, but I'm not holding my breath that any of these assessment providers will take any notice of it. If PwC are conflating your agency - aka the fee-payer - as your line manager then I would immediately have serious doubts about their competence.

Also, there is no appeal process mandated by the law, merely that the assessor has one. Which means sod all in the real world.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

malvolio

I know I'm comparing apples with bananas but third party assessors who provide input to the DWP on benefits such as PIP work to a point scoring formula and if you understand how to nail each category then you're on to a winner. It's also the reason why a lot of severely disabled people do not claim successfully. They simply turn up to an interview and waffle on about their disability without doing any research.

I know we won't get asked for an interview but if I can at least understand the inputs to the process then I can second guess what evidence needs to be provided and do some legwork for the client.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                It makes perfect sense. The client co has the assurance that a big 4 firm has made the assessment. PWC avoid any liability by ruling everyone inside. The contractor gets shafted. Trebles all round.
                It must give a fluffy feeling to the client, knowing he's spent oodles of £000's on an assured and qualified beyond all doubt PWC assessment.

But if it has been demonstrated that the HMRC does not understand that which it has authored, I am wondering if PWC are taking their 'expertise' from court case based outcomes as opposed to whatever minimal waffle HMRC are purporting...?

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                  Don't think anybody is panicking over a drug test. I understand the need for it in some industries but otherwise there is no need for a client to be interested in one's recreational activities.
                  Yes, that was my take on it too. As long as someone can turn up on time and do their job, it's no-one's business what they do in their spare time.

Comment

I genuinely had my urine tested for cocaine yesterday ....
                    Same here. Result came back negative. Now my dealer has a lot to explain.

Comment

malvolio

I know I'm comparing apples with bananas but third party assessors who provide input to the DWP on benefits such as PIP work to a point scoring formula and if you understand how to nail each category then you're on to a winner. It's also the reason why a lot of severely disabled people do not claim successfully. They simply turn up to an interview and waffle on about their disability without doing any research.

I know we won't get asked for an interview but if I can at least understand the inputs to the process then I can second guess what evidence needs to be provided and do some legwork for the client.
                      Having a chat with your hiring manager about it will help, especially if they want to keep you past March.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X