• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract ending early....is this legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do check your contract but you have the same rights as the plumber you sent away before he finished all the work on your bathroom.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Sorry, I can't bear ridiculous questions like these.
      #prayfornluk

Comment

Sorry, I can't bear ridiculous questions like these.
        To all newbie posters who think NLUK, and other posters, are harsh.... ^^THIS

the OP apparently has ZERO understanding of the contract he/she SIGNED.

They not only don't understand it, they are not capable of a simple google search (of the web, or just this forum), where they will soon find this information, which is even more infuriating given this is an IT contractor forum (non-IT tractors I know you post here)

OP - this is how contracts work. It is part of the reason you earn a high day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          OP - this is how contracts work. It is part of the reason you earn a high day rate.

Furthermore, as a contractor, you are assumed to have taken legal advice before entering into a contract. So if you don't know what you are doing, get legal advice.

And be really careful how you are paid. Anything remotely resembling a scheme(except the Antilles scheme, before OG says anything) WILL lead you to years of misery. You will probably end up like me. No-one wants to go there. 7 LC suicides is enough.

It is amazing(or is it?) how many people are still using schemes despite CUK issuing warnings since 2008. These warnings have grown in intensity every year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Furthermore, as a contractor, you are assumed to have taken legal advice before entering into a contract. So if you don't know what you are doing, get legal advice.

And be really careful how you are paid. Anything remotely resembling a scheme(except the Antilles scheme, before OG says anything) WILL lead you to years of misery. You will probably end up like me. No-one wants to go there. 7 LC suicides is enough.

It is amazing(or is it?) how many people are still using schemes despite CUK issuing warnings since 2008. These warnings have grown in intensity every year.
            It's more of an executive club than a scheme.

Comment

These are fair comments.

There is enough information around to know about the actual reality of a zero notice period, this should be bundled into other items that go into the cons column of contracting. You don't even need to read the contract for this nugget of info, it's a given, unless you negotiate it out it will almost certainly indicate this risk.

Maybe the OP sees this contract cut short as unfair because they are not on the silly rates that allow you to shrug your shoulders and say hey ho, Christmas chill time.

Also for a first post the question is very naive, so I suspect not long time lurker, but someone who only now has an interest in the contractor workings. Expect to see a lot more of this in 2020 as the registered forum member numbers build, attracting new 1 posters, asking if IR35 affects them...

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
                These are fair comments.

There is enough information around to know about the actual reality of a zero notice period, this should be bundled into other items that go into the cons column of contracting. You don't even need to read the contract for this nugget of info, it's a given, unless you negotiate it out it will almost certainly indicate this risk.

Maybe the OP sees this contract cut short as unfair because they are not on the silly rates that allow you to shrug your shoulders and say hey ho, Christmas chill time.

Also for a first post the question is very naive, so I suspect not long time lurker, but someone who only now has an interest in the contractor workings. Expect to see a lot more of this in 2020 as the registered forum member numbers build, attracting new 1 posters, asking if IR35 affects them...
                and you are, again?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  and you are, again?
                  He/she is right though.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He/she is right though.
                    of course

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
                      this should be bundled into other items that go into the cons column of contracting..
                      Why?

Sounds fine to me.
                      If the client doesn’t want me anymore I don’t want to be there either. End of story.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X