• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract ending early....is this legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    and you are, again?
    Someone who is not as new to this site as it appears from my status.

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
      Someone who is not as new to this site as it appears from my status.
      ahh, another sockie.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Why?

Sounds fine to me.
        If the client doesn’t want me anymore I don’t want to be there either. End of story.

Con was an incorrect choice of word, I should have said risk. Mitigated by warchest, big day rate or keeping personal financial commitments low. If someone is upset they get canned early that's usually not understanding that there is even a risk, or understanding and not mitigating.

If you are not close enough to the budget holder, then expect a worse case scenario every day and invoice as early as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          ahh, another sockie.
          Not at all, although I can see why you may think that.

I have not been an active forum member for quite a few years now, I did attempt to have my account reinstated but it appears my email address has long since gone from the forums system. Recently I have decided to delve back into the arena as I have more spare time and seeing as how I started contracting before IR35 was born and still continue to do so, I feel I can offer useful input and experience. I note not much has changed, NLUK is giving the same short shrift as he did a decade or so ago.

HTH your sockie worries.

Comment

aye, - right

Comment

Ahh Contractor UK Forums - Where no one suffers fools gladly

Anyways, yes, it was the OPs first post and yes they have been ripped to shreds however in this game you need to be prepared to be ripped to shreds. The best contractors are the most resilient. If you aren't, then contracting isn't for you.

OP - Take note of the advice. You just need to suck it up. As long as you have been paid right until your last time sheet then count yourself lucky and get back on the market. The more time spent sulking about it, the more time you lose on finding your next client.

Comment

This has got to be a joke surely?
                Doing it 3 years and doesn't understand a CONTRACT. Jeez.

Of course, pisser when it does happen but seriously, you didn't know it could happen? I find that really hard to believe.....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Sadly not. More than half the contractor's at my last gig would have to ask questions like this. You ought to hear some of the stuff they were asking me when April 2020 changes started sinking in. I could have wept.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This is a good thing, from a legal point of view if not a monetary one. Absolutely part of the job, and not even an unusual part.

There are as I see it several levels of consideration you can have, from good to bad

1) Contract goes to the end and they don't review

2) They serve you notice as on your contract and you get to work it out

3) They serve you some notice, less than the contract says but there's a clause that says they can if there's no work, and you get to work that

4) You're leaving today

5) You're leaving today and there's work you've done which we're not paying for

Sounds like you're on number 2 or 3 of these - that should be absolutely no problem at all.
                    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 12 December 2019, 14:51.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Sadly not. More than half the contractor's at my last gig would have to ask questions like this. You ought to hear some of the stuff they were asking me when April 2020 changes started sinking in. I could have wept.
                      Makes me look intelligent eh?

Know what you mean. When it was the PS with IR35 in 2017 a couple said "whats IR35?"? Jeez.

My own brother was probably the worse though (not in IT). Did contract welding work. Pissed the lot up against the wall. His excuse "I thought they were taking tax off me, no-one told me". Made it worse by chucking every single letter from HMRC in the bin until they kicked his door in one morning at 6am. Narrowly escaped prison. No sympathy from me at all. Still bleats to this day that "its so unfair" that he had to pay back around £20K and he had to pay an accountant to sort the mess out.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X