• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract ending early....is this legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract ending early....is this legal?

Hi all, first post here.

I am a self-employed IT Contractor working for my own business (one employee - me). Have been doing this for about three years now working within the UK for UK firms. I signed the contract with (FIRM1 who pay me) to work for (FIRM2 who require the work to be done)

In October I signed a 6 month IT contract which would take me to the end of March 2020, but today received news that the company (nameless) that I am working for state there's no money left in the budget to pay so they're (FIRM2) ending the contract and I'll be out of work right before the Christmas period.....

What are my rights here? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments - first time I have experienced this and very bad timing right before the xmas period...

Regards,

Drago

Originally posted by Dragosani View Post
    What are my rights here?
    Unless you've a very special contract, you have no rights at all. This is the downside of contracting. That and HMRC out to getcha.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi all, first post here.

I am a self-employed IT Contractor working for my own business (one employee - me). Have been doing this for about three years now working within the UK for UK firms. I signed the contract with (FIRM1 who pay me) to work for (FIRM2 who require the work to be done)

In October I signed a 6 month IT contract which would take me to the end of March 2020, but today received news that the company (nameless) that I am working for state there's no money left in the budget to pay so they're (FIRM2) ending the contract and I'll be out of work right before the Christmas period.....

What are my rights here? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments - first time I have experienced this and very bad timing right before the xmas period...

Regards,

Drago
      What does your contract say?

Comment

What are my rights here?

Drago
        None, you're not an employee and have no employment rights.

Comment

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments
          I hope you get some. But all I think anyone will suggest is to start looking round.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I hope you get some. But all I think anyone will suggest is to start looking round.
            Which is a helpful comment.

Comment

You have the right to complain on an anonymous contracting forum.

Why on earth do you think you've got any rights? Do you not read and understand your contracts?
              Last edited by northernladuk; 11 December 2019, 13:43.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Check your contract.

There will probably be a clause about being able to invoice for signed timesheets or similar.
                There will also be other clauses about mutuality of obligation, where they have the right to not offer you further work, their right of termination, etc.

If you asked a builder to build you an extension but you run out of money, would you expect them to finish it for free on the off chance you find the extra money?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You have the right to complain on an anonymous contracting forum.

Why on earth do you think you've got any rights? Do you not read and understand your contracts?
                  I was waiting for your comment NLUK

Not much you can do, if you have been paid on time and until your last working day then feel lucky. I knew another colleague who got told the same news and that he wouldn't be receiving his £30k in invoices.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
                    I was waiting for your comment NLUK
                    Sorry, I can't bear ridiculous questions like these. I can't even be bothered to point out to him he's not an employee. If he can't understand what he is and his read his contracts after 3 years then understanding his position in his own company is probably a bit complex.

I wonder what he knows about April 2020. Actually.. I don't.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X