• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick Newbie Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Newbie Questions

I've had some contract amendments signed off so that my first contract does not put me explicitly inside IR35 however I know this is a small part of the jigsaw. The contract is 6 months and the client is not committing to a determination yet for beyond April 2020.

My line of work is nuclear safety, electronics and software assurance. The cut a long story short I'm going into contracting at this point of time out of necessity rather than choice.

Here's a few quick questions if you'd be kind enough to respond:

1) In this scenario would you go umbrella or Ltd?
    (The variables are: it's away from home and the umbrella take home would only be marginally better than a perm salary when pension and expenses are taken into account, I'm not factoring holidays into that but I have already got a perm salary until October 2020 from my previous employer)
    2) If I go Ltd then get flipped after two months and close down my company, do I still need an accountant for my tax returns beyond company closure?
    3) Are there any other costs to consider on closure of a ltd? (I've already forked out for an IR35 review and set up will cost me £50, closure would be £200 and I'd have also set up and cancelled insurance policies).
    4) The agent insists the role is outside IR35 and they would challenge the client if I get flipped. Is that bulltulip? Does the agent have any influence over client determinations?

If you are only getting into contracting I would suggest don't bother opening a ltd. and go with Umbrella. At the very least until the storm blows a bit next year. You will find it next to impossible to find outside IR35 roles as a newbie contractor.

If you manage to get your next contract outside IR35 - you can think about switching to ltd. then.

Comment

Depends In your daily rate and expenses per week

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

When you get the gig give us a shout and we'll do the work for you as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you all

Sal, what you say makes a lot of sense. On the other hand I am niche and that's the main thing I've got going for me but it'll be a tough market for the general electronics and safety contracts.

GhostofTarbera I'm not on the big money like you IT folk, I'm somewhere in the middle. I've worked out the expenses and against the umbrella take home rate there is little gain over a perm salary with the client. In fact, if I went outside and they flipped me then it would be fair to ask the question because I know the client really struggles to land permanent staff of a certain skillset.

NLUK, you've just inspired me to start another tedious thread on General.

Comment

Being niche is a double edged sword. On one hand you have less competition for jobs. On the other hand there are less jobs to begin with.

If there is shortage of people in that skill set, just ask for more money as a perm. Financial motivation shouldn't be the main driver behind going contracting, especially in the current climate.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              Being niche is a double edged sword. On one hand you have less competition for jobs. On the other hand there are less jobs to begin with.

If there is shortage of people in that skill set, just ask for more money as a perm. Financial motivation shouldn't be the main driver behind going contracting, especially in the current climate.
              Sal, I've ended up with a three month CV gap through no fault of my own so contracting is a good excuse to have patchy employment record if and when I go perm again. That's my primary motivation. I also quite like the idea of spells on the bench with the kids if I can afford it.

I couldn't agree more regarding the double edged sword. I need to start charging a higher rate once I've established myself.

The thing I hated most about being a permie was the indifference of it all at big companies. As a contractor I will care and those people who look for the easy life at my expense will actually be doing me a favour.

Comment

Contracting history isn't good for going permie again. They'll wonder why you've given the money up and eyebyou suspiciously. Get the training, wait till market is good and they'll expect you to leave soon after.

Might not care so much when they treat you like tulip and over time realise you are nothing but an expensive commodity to them.. But you keep thinking it.

This thread done now or any more updates on your daily saga to keep us entertained.. Not.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
                  Sal, I've ended up with a three month CV gap through no fault of my own so contracting is a good excuse to have patchy employment record if and when I go perm again. That's my primary motivation. I also quite like the idea of spells on the bench with the kids if I can afford it.

I couldn't agree more regarding the double edged sword. I need to start charging a higher rate once I've established myself.

The thing I hated most about being a permie was the indifference of it all at big companies. As a contractor I will care and those people who look for the easy life at my expense will actually be doing me a favour.
                  Companies don’t like contractors for permie roles - we are tanted

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I'm not done yet because I haven't had answers to three out of four of my questions.

Perhaps the accounting questions are in the wrong section of the forum but what about agency influence on client determinations?

Comment

Working...
                    X