• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick Newbie Questions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
      4) The agent insists the role is outside IR35 and they would challenge the client if I get flipped. Is that bulltulip? Does the agent have any influence over client determinations?
      This.

Comment

I'm not done yet because I haven't had answers to three out of four of my questions.

Perhaps the accounting questions are in the wrong section of the forum but what about agency influence on client determinations?

Answer to Q1: Go umbrella. No need to answer the others.

If I thought the best answer, based on your posts so far, was to go Ltd, then I'd answer the other 3.
        But if you chose to go Ltd, yes, you'd need to pay an accountant to do your company accounts, perhaps choose one that charges a 1 off annual fee, rather than paying an annual fee spread over 12 monthly installments. Plenty of threads on here about that.
        Other "fees" depend on how you set up your company, how much money is in it, how you end up closing it down, if your business bank account charges fees, etc. Plenty of threads on here about that
        The agent has no impact on IR35 assessment. Plenty of threads on here about that.

You also claim you have a "permanent salary from a job that you no longer do (in other threads you claimed you agreed to leave of your own accord, or by mutual consent but that you weren't fired, here you say it was through no fault of your own) until October 2020. Sounds like there's some complexities that you aren't telling us, you may end up paying extra for an accountant who can pick apart whatever you're doing.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Answer to Q1: Go umbrella. No need to answer the others.

If I thought the best answer, based on your posts so far, was to go Ltd, then I'd answer the other 3.
          But if you chose to go Ltd, yes, you'd need to pay an accountant to do your company accounts, perhaps choose one that charges a 1 off annual fee, rather than paying an annual fee spread over 12 monthly installments. Plenty of threads on here about that.
          Other "fees" depend on how you set up your company, how much money is in it, how you end up closing it down, if your business bank account charges fees, etc. Plenty of threads on here about that
          The agent has no impact on IR35 assessment. Plenty of threads on here about that.

You also claim you have a "permanent salary from a job that you no longer do (in other threads you claimed you agreed to leave of your own accord, or by mutual consent but that you weren't fired, here you say it was through no fault of your own) until October 2020. Sounds like there's some complexities that you aren't telling us, you may end up paying extra for an accountant who can pick apart whatever you're doing.
          Okay, I'm going to backtrack and look at brollies again because I can't ignore the unanimous views of seasoned contractors.
          Last edited by mb31; 13 December 2019, 16:44.

Comment

Your work life will be more or less the same as a contractor because that permie indifference will still affect you, you will be exposed to it in different ways and to be honest, you will be more vulnerable to it as a contractor.

Whether you get taken on or not as a permie after being a contractor will largely depend on how you market yourself - speaking from experience.

Comment

Originally posted by PermieToContractorAndBack View Post
              Your work life will be more or less the same as a contractor because that permie indifference will still affect you, you will be exposed to it in different ways and to be honest, you will be more vulnerable to it as a contractor.

Whether you get taken on or not as a permie after being a contractor will largely depend on how you market yourself - speaking from experience.
              My work life balance will definitely be worse as a contractor. I will be working away full time whereas in my last job I worked from home half the week, I could accrue up to 50 days holiday in a year including TOIL and the pension contribution from the company was 9% of salary.

NLUK, you look tired, hope you have a good night out.
              Last edited by mb31; 13 December 2019, 19:53.

Comment

Yawn..
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

usual tedious bollocks!
                  you really are a piece of work, aren't you.

utter twat.

Comment

Difference between a contractor and a permie is

Contractors don’t give a tulip if you drop down dead in the office - some permies might cry

Never forget my program director asking me to find a new PM in Amsterdam

I asked if he sacked him (not really caring)

He replied he died last night in his hotel

I asked if I could have his desk

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      What WTFH said.

Your client putting you in a very difficult position. I consider umbrella to be the best option for a couple of months if I were you but up to you.
                      Thanks BR14, a brolly is looking increasingly like the most prudent option and especially with a conservative landslide victory.

GhostofTarbera, that wouldn't surprise me at the top of the chain where corporate psychopaths make big gains ruthlessly but I don't think it's solely boardroom contractors. And I wouldn't generalise, a good friend of mine was a CEO at a large business recovery firm until he recently sold his business. He's always been altruistic and incredibly funny.

At the techie level the contractors I've had the pleasure of working with are just as likely to show empathy as a permie. In fact they tend to be less bitter and twisted in my experience but other work environments may differ.

Comment

Working...
                      X